D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Versus Odyssey of The Dragonlords

mserabian

Explorer
Hi folks - looking at these two Greek Mythology inspired settings for D&D, and I'm wonder which one people think is the best...

I know Theros is more of a setting and Dragonlords is more adventure material, but which one do you all think is the best and why...

dave2008

Legend
Hi folks - looking at these two Greek Mythology inspired settings for D&D, and I'm wonder which one people think is the best...

I know Theros is more of a setting and Dragonlords is more adventure material, but which one do you all think is the best and why...
I have them both and each has value. Personally I like MOoT better because of:
  1. Monsters. I like the monsters in Theros more, especially the Mythic Monsters.
  2. Supernatural gifts
  3. Piety
  4. Lore. I prefer the lore of Theros (fyi, I don't play MtG) to Dragonlords (and I love dragons).
It has been a while since I looked through OotD, but the adventure was a big chunk of it and I don't use published adventures. However, if you like player facing content: subclasses, races, etc. then Dragonlords is probably for you. Ideally you use both: Dragonlords for PCs & Theros for DMs

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
What features of the lore of Theros did you prefer over Dragonlords?
Honestly it has less to do with Theros and more to do with Dragonlords. Theros is pretty traditional Greek-myth fantasy (which I like) with twist. When I ready the title "Odysssey of the Dragonlords," I assumed the dragon lords would be a big part of the setting, but they are not. Their time has passed. There was something I didn't like about the relationship of the "titans," gods, and dragonlords too, but would have to read it again to be more specific. I just remember it wasn't my taste.

EDIT: It my be preconceived ideas about the setting based on the name that weren't fulfilled that bothered me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a bunch more Greek-inspired settings for 5E. I count 7 at present!

Dire Bare

Legend
What features of the lore of Theros did you prefer over Dragonlords?

I also have both. I'm not sure if I prefer the setting of Thylea (the setting for Dragonlords) to the setting of Theros, they are both very similar fantasy versions of mythic Greece.

The main difference is the titular "dragonlords" which are hard to discuss without spoilers. The dragonlords are mythic heroes who, well, rode dragons and saved the people of Thylea from the oppressive titans. During the course of the adventure, the PCs have the opportunity to become the new dragonlords of Thylea, and even possibly new gods. While the adventure has it's rough spots, overall it's pretty damn epic and seems like it would be a lot of fun to run.

The two settings draw from the same well and have very similar themes and tropes. The old gods, or titans, are oppressive, violent, and bad news. The new gods (Olympian equivalents) might have saved the world from the titans, but are petty, selfish, and vindictive. The gods play a major role in both settings, but there is more connection between PCs and gods in Theros with the piety system.

I'm thinking about running a Greek-inspired campaign blending Dragonlords and Theros, and possibly some of the other recent 5E "Ancient" settings Morrus mentioned above. Haven't put a lot of thought into it yet, but I think the biggest challenge is decided which similar option to go with in a few cases.

Dragonlords definitely has more robust character options, and they are available for free in the Odyssey of the Dragonlords Player's Guide on DriveThruRPG.com.

Retreater

Legend
I can only speak to Odyssey of the Dragonlords. I have enjoyed thumbing through it, but haven't run it. The monsters do seem badly designed (like one attack per round, no way they can challenge a party). But I have no use for campaign settings. They are like buying a novel for inspirational reading. Just nothing useful in them (for me). If there is not substantial keyed encounter maps, NPCs, storyline, etc., I just don't want it at this point.

dave2008

Legend
I can only speak to Odyssey of the Dragonlords. I have enjoyed thumbing through it, but haven't run it. The monsters do seem badly designed (like one attack per round, no way they can challenge a party). But I have no use for campaign settings. They are like buying a novel for inspirational reading. Just nothing useful in them (for me). If there is not substantial keyed encounter maps, NPCs, storyline, etc., I just don't want it at this point.
I wouldn't say I am the opposite, but I find setting related crunch (like piety & supernatural gifts in Theros) much more interesting than an adventure I will never use (though I might steal ideas from).

Remove ads