D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Versus Odyssey of The Dragonlords

Hmm, after reviewing the Oaths now I see how you could use them to curtail murderhobos, but as presented in the book, I don't see how they do. Only two of the three Oaths inflict a curse and the curse is fairly mild and can be lifted by...being a murderhobo! I like the idea, but I would like more Oaths with different and stronger curses.

I think you might want to re-read the section a little more carefully rather than scanning.

All three inflict curses. The third is so bad that the DM specifies it, rather than it being listed. And I don't see how any can be lifted by "being a murderhobo".

dave2008

Legend
I think you might want to re-read the section a little more carefully rather than scanning.

All three inflict curses. The third is so bad that the DM specifies it, rather than it being listed. And I don't see how any can be lifted by "being a murderhobo".
To clarify the Oaths are a little different in the book than the free download (which I looked at first). In the free download the Oath of Peace gives no penalty, it simply says:
1592145131182.png

And in the book - it is exactly the same! No guidance on what happens if you break it.

The other two (Oath of Service & Oath of Protection), inflict the curse of the treacherous. In the free player's guide, someone who gets the curse has 1-3 erinyes sent after them to catch them and take them to the Island of Oathbreakers. However, they "...will hunt and try to capture their quarry until they have been defeated." So until you go all muderhobo on them.

Now this is the same as the book, but the book adds some more info about the erinyes that makes them a tougher fight for sure:
1592145485079.png
So it is a tougher fight and definitely dangerous (and a deterrent), but you can still get out of it by being a better murderhobo. It is also not so tough it ends up only being 1 erinye

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by: " The third is so bad that the DM specifies it, rather than it being listed." I listed them for you. Nothing for Peace (doesn't even say the DM should make something up), and Service and Protection inflict the curse of the treacherous. Now I recognize that breaking the Oath of Peace should have some consequences, but whether it does and how it does is completely DM Fiat.

So what part do I need to read? Is there more information somewhere other then under the heading "Sacred Oaths" pg 14 of the OftD and OPG?

Last edited:

Remove ads