N.E.W. Character Creation Book [Feb 2015]

I have just uploaded N.E.W. Character Creation Book [Feb 2015] to the downloads area. This 73-page playtest book details character creation in N.E.W., including species, careers, exploits, and equipment. Careers have undergone an extensive overhaul, and all the latest changes and updates have been applied, including to derived statistics. The equipment section is a trimmed section designed for starter characters; it doesn't include drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, upgrades, or customizations from previous documents. You can find the file here in the downloads section.

I have just uploaded N.E.W. Character Creation Book [Feb 2015] to the downloads area. This 73-page playtest book details character creation in N.E.W., including species, careers, exploits, and equipment. Careers have undergone an extensive overhaul, and all the latest changes and updates have been applied, including to derived statistics. The equipment section is a trimmed section designed for starter characters; it doesn't include drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, upgrades, or customizations from previous documents. You can find the file here in the downloads section.

Halivar

First Post
Hey Morrus, I'm looking at the NOW character creation book, and I had a question: if you combine NOW and NEW, do the PSI and CHI stats overlap, or are they kept separate? And will the OLD "power" stat work the same way?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So that's an optional rule. I haven't put it in yet but the GM chooses one of two things for their setting:

1) PSI, CHI, MAG are all different names for the same thing. Theoretically a high CHI character can power psionic powers with it, if he learns them.

2) They are different, and never the twain shall they meet. If you want Psionics you need to take a career which gives you PSI, not CHI or MAG.

Both options work well, depending on your preferred flavour.

thundershot

Adventurer
I just realized that this would be the perfect system for a time travel campaign. Have characters from different eras interacting going through time and space on different styles of adventures.

Halivar

First Post
Sorry to bother, Morrus, I found a few more things I think might be typos:

* Athlete has [unarmed combat], while Felan and Prison have [unarmed fighting]. Are these supposed to be the same?
* Drifter has gaming and performing. Are these supposed to be [gaming] and [performance]?
* Bounty Hunter and Pilot have computer operation; most other careers just say computers. Is this a different skill?
* Assassin has [combat]; is that the same as [combat skills] seen elsewhere? Battlepsyche, Star Lord and Spartan Battle School also have [combat].

In the realm of the obnoxiously nit-picky: >:)
* Infiltrator has "escape arts" instead of escape artist

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's no bother! I live for questions about my work! They make me happy!

So, in order:

1) Yes, they're the same thing. Goood catch!

2) At some point there will be big edit which decides whether skills are -ings or -tions. For now, don't worry too much about it.

3) As above. Computers is what I recently changes computer operation to. I might change back if I go with -tions!

4) Yes. As a whole, I'm now removing the word [skills] as superflous from those square bracket categories.

5) Thanks for the typo catch!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How does experience work now? especially considering careers.

I left it out deliberately as I'm still testing that stuff. The old advancement rules are out now, though. It's likely to be an expanding scale for each subsequent career grade, irrespective of what career it comes from. I just haven't yet settled on the values.

cmsKarambit

First Post
Looks great.

Just in case you were looking for this sort of thing, there is a typo on Star Knight Throw Sword exploit that says "rnange increment"

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads