• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[NABAIS] Commonly shared gripes about D&D

Weeble

First Post
Sir Hawkeye said:
Remember, If a paladin promises that he'll kill you if you don't do what he says, his code of conduct requires that he keep his promise.:)

So if he promises to ravage your wife, his code of conduct requires that he keeps his promise?

the key word being conduct here.

Jolly Giant

First Post
1) Falling damage Should a 10th lvl fighter (or similar) really be able to easily survive a 100ft drop? Should anyone ?

2) Fixed skill-check DCs Should a 1st lvl rogue be able to tumble past a 20th lvl monk? Feign a 20th lvl fighter in melee with an easy Bluff-check? Intimidate 20th lvl wizard? He can easily do any of those things with the basic rules...

I know there are optional rules in the DMG touching on some these issues, but I don't feel any of them function very well either! I've come up with these house rules for fixed skill-DC's:
The fixed DCs are the minimum requirements. In addition, the person/monster you try to tumble past get's a Reflex save (DC=your tumble-roll) to see if he/she/it reacts quickly enough to get an attack of opportunity. The opponent you're trying to bluff in melee get's to add his base attack bonus to his Sense Motive-check (as I feel combat-capability should be a factor here!) with a DC equal to your Bluff-roll. I've yet to come up with a good solution to the Intimidate-issue, though. So far, I've simply ruled that in my game Intimidate-checks are roleplayed instead of rolled, or else not used at all!

Last edited:

Jolly Giant

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
I've yet to come up with a good solution to the Intimidate-issue

Let's all face it, Intimidation as a skill just dosn't work! Roleplaying it seems to be the only solution...

And another thing: Rangers are lame! They get 3 free feats on lvl 1, and then nothing! If you wanna abuse the system, always have your fighter-characters start with one ranger-lvl before adopting the fighter class. That's eight extra skill-points at first lvl and three -count 'em- three! bonus feats. Never mind about Favoured Enemy - what's the good of having an ability the DM decides when you get to use? And their spellcasting is just to weak to get into...

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Intimidating a 20th level wizard would be a Intimidate check DC 30, not to easy for a 1st level rogue :)

Rangers, just the style of them. I was dissappointed when 3E came out and all the classes had some neato new stuff, but rangers were just remakes of the (cringe) 2E ranger. Give me my 1E elite humanoind killers, not your 2E dual wielding park rangers :)

Samhaine

First Post
  • Monks - how exactly did the monk class get past the people trying to balance the classes against one another? Its class progression benefits read like someone's list of all the best abilities in the game, stuck together.
    Feat Prereqs - While there are tons of cool feats, if you didn't have the foresight to raise your ability scores to 13+ you have to give up many of them.
    Lack of AdHoc Exp Focus - So much of the PHB and DMG focus on gaining Exp from traps and combat, with the Ad Hoc section basically amounting to "We haven't really tried this, but if you want to run games without a purely combat/dungeoncrawl focus, good luck." The game needs some basic rules to award exp for overcoming non-combat challenges in a way that actually rewards other activities in a proportional manner.
    Achievement - As others have commented, there is very little basis for character background, such that the only real accomplishment comes from levelups and getting items. Any part of the game spent doing something that doesn't result in exp and/or tray-zure feels wasted.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
1) Falling damage Should a 10th lvl fighter (or similar) really be able to easily survive a 100ft drop? Should anyone

You might find this hard to believe, but people in real life can and do survive falls from that distance. 100 ft is only ~33 yards. It's definitely possible.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
Samhaine said:
Feat Prereqs - While there are tons of cool feats, if you didn't have the foresight to raise your ability scores to 13+ you have to give up many of them.

Have you EVER seen a character who didn't have at least two stats at 13+?

This gripe is trivial.

Remove ads