• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Name ONE favourite thing about your favourite edition

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3.5Ed and its closest cousins (Arcana Evolved, Pathfinder, etc.): virtually unfettered multiclassing + thousands of Feats = most flexible PC design capacity in the games's history.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I guess...2e and the clear/plain presentation of the rules. Just because we can print a faux parchment pattern on each page doesn't mean we should.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I don't have a favorite edition really, but my favorite thing in all of D&D's history is the OGL. During the first few years of 3.0 the whole D&D community was brimming with new setting ideas and fan contributions and homebrew goodness. The enthusiasm was glorious.

Turanil

First Post
3.5Ed and its closest cousins (Arcana Evolved, Pathfinder, etc.): virtually unfettered multiclassing + thousands of Feats = most flexible PC design capacity in the games's history.
+1
When 3e came, these were my preferred rules (over the predecessors): the multiclassing, and the customization with feats. You could really have a character evolve as you wished, not being restricted by predetermined abilities once and for all.

Shades of Green

First Post
Favourite D&D-type game: ACKS.

Favourite feature: ultra-cool high-level campaign options built into the rules, be that establishing a domain, founding an empire, becoming a lich, breeding hybrid monsters or running your own thief guild.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
4e - Easy DM prep (due to elegant monster design). It allowed me to focus on the most important parts: story and role-playing!

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
I can't say I have an edition that I think is head-and-shoulders above others. I realize this is a cop-out post, apologies for that.

1e the nostalgia (I played 1e for longer than any other edition, I can't but love it)
2e making the parts of the game function as a whole, I don't know quite how to put this otherwise. For example, the 1e spell identify just didn't work in actual play. 2e fixed it.
3.5 SRD
4e facility to DM

Remove ads