D&D General Name your favorite 4 person party composition.

ccs

41st lv DM
Whatever the edition, & assuming the character concepts all fit the game/campaign....
Whatever (probably strange) idea I currently have.
Whatever makes player #2 happy.
Whatever makes player #3 happy.
whatever makes player #4 happy.

I am partial to the classic races though - Humans, Dwarves, Elves (non-Drow), 1/2lings, gnomes & 1/2orcs.
The more monsterous the race, the less I'm in favor of it. But I can be persuaded.

jgsugden

Legend
I've been thinking about this in terms of Baldur's Gate III when it hits full release and we get to make a 4 PC party. I want to cover:

Face, Scout, Sage and Brute archetypes.
Divine, Nature, Arcane and non-magical.
2(+) Melee, 2(+) Ranged.
Someone that can use big weapons, bows, finesse weapons and shields.
Someone in heavy armor, someone in light armor, someone in medium armor.

This limits me. If I am going to have a high intelligence sage with a lot of intelligence proficiencies and maxed intelligence, I will need either a wizard or artificer (or maybe a bard). Wizard makes the most sense. That is generally going to be Ranged and Arcane being covered, and a Half-elf to get me enough proficiencies. The school will be determined by campaign Setting. Intelligence Skills Covered.

For a scout, I like a Ranger Archer. I want to have a lot of skills (thieves tools, survival, perception, insight, stealth, athletics, investigation) to allow me to be sneaky, perceptive and effective at getting to places. I'll add a touch of rogue, fighter, sorcerer and cleric to it over time. Glasya Tiefling. She can use bows and finesse weapons.

Then we need two front line types, one divine and one able to function without magic. For the Brute, I was someone with a high Strength for athletics checks. I combine the Face and Brute rolls into a Warlock Hexblade with Athletics, Deception, Insight, Persuasion and Intimidation. 16 Strength and Charisma to start, meaning we'll be limited on Dex and Constitution, while being foolish and unintelligent - which explains why they are a Hexblade. Variant human allows us to pick up a feat - which will be used for Great Weapon Master as this will be our big beater in medium armor.

That leaves a need for a Heavy Armor wearing Divine PC with a defensive focus. This could either be a Paladin or a Cleric, and either would be good in this role. I think I'll go with a Multiclass.

Half Elf Wizard (20 levels - School TBD).
Glasya Tiefling Ranger (Gloom Stalker 5, Divine Soul 5, Cleric of Order 1, Assassin 5, Battle Master or Arcane Archer 4).
Variant Human Hexblade (17 levels in Hexblade to start - then 3 in College of Whispers Bard).
Half-elven Vengeance Paladin 6, Forge Cleric 14.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
As a DM, I like:

One heavy hitter I can throw big monsters at.
One goody two-shoes who will want to help the peasants.
One troublemaker who spices things up.
One weirdo.

Some possibilities:

Goliath barbarian
Tiefling divine warlock
Kenku rogue
Tortle bard

Or...

Dwarf fighter
Halfling paladin
Elf druid (environmental extremist)
Aaracokra storm sorcerer

I always have had 6 players in my groups. But if forced to have only four players...

Paladin protection (mountain dwarf or Vhuman)
Mage, divination (Vhuman, spell snipper feat)
Cleric of life ( either hill dwarf or Vhuman)
An arcane trickster (elf, high).

If two more characters can be inserted...
Artificer Artillist (rock gnome or Vhuman)
A fighter, battlemaster, (Vhuman).

Ace

Adventurer
Dual rapier wielding gnome paladin of the Order of the Owl
Sounds like a party that will give a hoot, or four. Or eight. Do rapiers hoot?

Yesterday, while I DMed the party consisted of:

Hill Dwarf Life Domain Cleric (1st level)
Hill Dwarf Death Domain Cleric (1st)
Mountain Dwarf Tempest Domain Cleric (1st)
Tabaxi Phantom Rogue (3rd)

They had to investigate an issue in the CoS Blinsky toy shop basement (various flavors of Giant Moths from Creature Codex ruining the fabrics). Hijinx ensued. I've never seen so many Spare the Dying cantrips cast in one session ever before... each cleric dropped once and the rogue finished the session with 1 HP.

TL/DR: whatever combo gets the job done in a memorable way while making everyone at the table enjoy the session with some good laughs.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
I'm a sucker for the classics. :cool:

Male Human Barbarian w/ Battle Axe
Female Human Paladin with Chainmail, Shield, and sword
Elf Fighter with bow
Human Wizard

Esbee needs food, badly.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Four is tough. I tend to want groups of 6, minimum.

My original four would be...
Human Mage
Human Cleric
Elf Fighter/Mage
Halfling Fighter/Thief

Moved through the edition prism into a 5e lens...
Human/Wizard
Human/Cleric (Life)
Elf...I suppose Eldritch Knight.
Halfling...I'd probably go with Ranger with an Urchin background.

Remove ads