Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

redkobold

Explorer
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

I had watched a cut US release of this film back in the 80's and it just got released on DVD. It is a must see even if you are not into anime. Some of the dialogue is corny but the imagery and setting are inspiring, Hayao Miyazaki (of the award winning "Spirited Away" gained widespread attention in Japan for his complex ecological manga series, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

This would be a great campaign setting. Anyone have any ideas for rulesets that would be most appropriate? I put this in pulp but another category may be more appropriate.

I am not particulary interested in d20 Past but this may be useful for this type of campaign. From what I have heard of it, Grim Tales may also be good.

Anyone else with similar tastes and interests out there with ideas?

If you do not know what I am talking about or am excited about, see if your local video store has this and watch it.

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/002-1903017-7975237?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I haven't SEEN the film, but hearing about it sort of prompted my current home brew game. Sort of. In a distant way. Instead of airplanes we have magical sailing ships. And instead of wild jungle we have freaky-big primeval redwood forest with equally freaky-big megafauna of all types.

All of this to say that Grim Tales is working out quite well for a similar sort of game. It gives you alot of ways to really connect the PCs to nature and the world and is built to incorporate diverse times and themes from the get-go, so nothing feels bolted on. Flintlocks feel as seamless as M16s, swords and guns and everything in between.

--fje

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Long ago I found a Nausicaa setting book that someone had written for the Palladium system. I downloaded it and converted it to D20 Modern for my own use. When D20 Future came out, I incorporated the ship combat rules for airship combat and modified some of the Advanced Classes to fit into the setting.

So ... yeah ... for home use I do have a d20 version of the Nausicaa setting. :)

Edit: If you can afford it, I highly suggest reading the original manga. It is available in English in a 4-book format. If you think the movie is great, then the books will blow you away. The movie barely scratches the surface of the whole story, and incorporates only about 75% of just the first book.

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
I have to agree with DnDChick on this, read the series, if only for the additional information on Nausicaa's world. I love the new DVD, it's a beautiful piece of work, and like all of Miyazaki's films makes me want to employ a lot more flying into my games.

I have never made an actual Nausicaa campaign, but have put a lot of thought into it. I eventually integrate a lot of those ideas into my standard D&D game, but never really felt like I could get a game together that would really capture the feeling of the manga and/or the anime.

Good luck in creating a Nausicaa game, and please post how you do it on these forums, I'd love to read about it!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I've been thinking about this thread ...

I'd be willing to spend a few days stripping out all the copyrighted/trademarked/setting-specific text from my document and just post a rules-set containing Open-Game rules from d20 Modern and d20 Future that you can use as a toolbox for making a Nausicaa game of your own.

You'd have to get the setting information on your own, though.

(If your Google-fu is strong enough, grasshopper, you might be able to find the same fan-written Palladium system Nausicaa document that I found. With that and my rules document, you could have a Nausicaa setting book.)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Arg! I was working on the "rules set" document and I just realized that I never got around to finishing up the "stats" for the vehicles using the D20 Modern/D20 Future format.

Give me another couple of days or so to finish them up and I'll post the document.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I'm in the home stretch for the rules set. This will be a 50-page collection of rules and systems from d20 Modern and d20 Future that apply to the Nausicaa setting. It is 100% Open Game Content and will contain no copyrighted or trademarked material from the actual manga series or the movie. You'll have to get setting-specific information from another source ... sorry.

I should be able to post his here tomorrow. I'll post it as a PDF. :)

Remove ads