D&D General Nay-Theists Vs. Flat-Earth Atheists in D&D Worlds

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This thread is meant to have a general discussion about having Nay-Theist and Flat-Earth Atheist characters in campaigns, and how they differ from world to world. Links to explanations of the definitions of these character types are provided in their names above, but I will simplify it a bit for those who tend to not click on off-site links in the spoilers below.

A person that acknowledges the existence of a deity (or deities) in a world that truly has one/them, but refuses to worship them (for a variety of reasons). The "nay" in the name isn't about the existence of the deities, it's about the individual's worship of them.
A person that lives in a world that truly has a deity/multiple deities but refuses to acknowledge their existence or believe in them. This is called "Flat-Earth Atheism" due to the fact that we live on a spherical/(oblate ellipsoid) world, but Flat Earthers still exist and profess that the earth is flat.

(Note: This thread is not meant for bashing Flat-Earthers, it is to discuss these different types of characters in D&D worlds/campaigns. I did not coin these names, so don't get angry at me for the name if you believe that the Earth is flat. Also a note, this thread is not for discussing any real life religious beliefs.)

The major thing that you should keep in mind is that "Atheists/Agnostics" that exist in D&D don't have to be either of these characters. A genuine Atheist similar to one in real life could exist in D&D settings where the existence of the deities is more vague and undetermined, like Eberron (the angels don't even know if the gods exist). A Nay-Theist in Eberron would be someone that believes that the gods exist, but doesn't worship them, while a Flat-Earth Atheist could not exist in Eberron (unless a Flat-Earth Atheist from a world that obviously has deities somehow manages to travel to Eberron, that is).

The major D&D worlds that obviously have deities are the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Theros, Exandria, Dragonlance, Nentir Vale, and Ravenloft, while the ones that are less clear in whether or not they have actual deities are Ravnica and Eberron. Dark Sun used to have deities, but they're gone now, so characters that are Nay-Theists or Flat-Earth Atheists are things of the past. Mystara doesn't have deities, and instead has Immortals, so "Nay-Theists" would basically be those that refuse to serve the Immortals, and Flat-Earth Atheists wouldn't exist, instead having the possibility of Flat-Earth Theists, as people that believe that god(s) exist in the setting, even though they definitively do not.

So, now that we've covered the definitions of these characters and briefly went over where they can and cannot exist, I'll briefly cover that a Nay-Theist/Flat-Earth Atheist can be a paladin or cleric, as presented in the PHB describing, "Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin’s power comes as much from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god," and Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica describing the world's clerics as most often being "dedicated to more abstract principles" instead of to deities. (Paladins get their power from devotion to an oath and obeying its tenets, while a cleric gets its power through worship of a deity or devoting your life to a universal concept, like Life, Light, Death, Peace, and so on.)

Mythic Odysseys of Theros even says, "No one can deny the reality of the gods of Theros, whose presence and deeds are visible in the night sky and sometimes directly in the mortal realm. But some people [Iconoclasts] refute the idea that the gods are worthy of reverence", making the existence of such Nay-Theists "canon" for 5e (and Flat-Earth Atheists in Theros would be like a Flat-Earther on a world much smaller than Earth, where the planet's curvature is much more apparent than it is on Earth).

So, what are your thoughts on this? How common are such characters in your world(s)? (I also assume that Nay-Theists are much more common than Flat-Earth Atheists.) Have you ever incorporated such characters in your campaigns? These characters do inspire characters/factions for me, and I want to know what the community thinks of it and what ideas you have.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Nat-Theist I’ve seen a number of times, Im reminded too of Clash of the Titans remake where humans have declared war on the gods because they are not worthy of worship.

I played a similar giant cleric once who was an Inquisitor battling heretical cults. However after investigating a cult who venerated the Titans. When he realised the Titans were his own giant ancestors, he had a crisis of faith and went from devout cleric to heretic when he decided that gods didnt care and that his Titan ancestors had been betrayed.
Eventually he lead a war on the Imperial Church and almost caused a schism (until it was defeated by the very Inquisitors he was once a member of)

Atheist is a bit harder in a world where gods and divine beings can be encountered walking down the street. Even if they are just treated as another powerful immortal monster/race they are still objectively real

Last edited:

In a world where clerics exist, atheism can't really exist.

Cleric: My deity gives me power.
Atheist: There is no such thing as deities, your spells come from some powerful natural source.
Cleric: But if I behave in conflict with my god's wishes, they withdraw their power. A natural source wouldn't care about that.
Atheist: So, its a powerful natural source with a moral code.
Cleric: Which is pretty much the definition of a god.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Atheist: There is no such thing as deities, your spells come from some powerful natural source.
Cleric: But if I behave in conflict with my god's wishes, they withdraw their power. A natural source wouldn't care about that.
Hmm, but an atheist could still kill that cleric.

And it could all be in the clerics head. That could certainly affect performance. At least while the cleric still has a head.

If I ever play another Planescape game, I'm going to play an Athar as a radical leftist. He knows the gods exist, he just thinks we should seize the means of worship and redistribute the prayers to the people.

That’s dangerously close to the No Politics rule, and isn’t funny to boot. Be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the right words are misotheism and malteism. Good example are characters from Games of Thrones who accept the existence of the deities, but they hate them, or they think the gods are evil because these don't worry about the ordinary mortals. Other example is Kratos, from the Playstation videogames, killing gods because he wants revengeace. Athar faction from Planescape is maybe the closest concept.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
(and Flat-Earth Atheists in Theros would be like a Flat-Earther on a world much smaller than Earth, where the planet's curvature is much more apparent than it is on Earth)
Just going to chime in, the curvature of Earth is actually quite apparent on Earth. It’s called the horizon. On a smaller planet, the horizon would just appear to be closer (as it does on mars, only being about 1.5 miles away instead of 3 miles.) If the existence of the horizon isn’t enough to convince someone the earth is round, I don’t imagine it being closer would change that.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Hence the term “flat-earth atheist.” Like flat-earthers in real life, atheists in such a world believe what they do in spite of incontrovertible evidence they’re wrong.

The gods exist, but they are not divine. They are just powerful extraplanar beings. They are not worthy of worship, nor do they have as much power that clerics assign them. They are operating a confidence trick. The source of a cleric's power is actually internal.

Also see Pillars of Eternity, where the gods where created by humans.

Remove ads