Necromancer Games shutting down next year.(UPDATE post 93)

Turjan

Explorer
PatrickLawinger said:
Folks, I think some of Clark's honest musings on the Necromancer Boards have lead to a bit of overreaction.
I wait for the first one to accuse Bill of disturbing this moment of tragic drama :D;).

I'm still looking forward to quite a few releases of the next year :).

Treebore

First Post
UPDATE from Clark

OK, this is all my fault.

See, this is why companies dont usually share their thoughts and feelings before things are finally decided. Because stuff like this happens.

We are not dead. And it is my fault for sharing my thoughts on these boards. I should have just kept my mouth shut until Bill and I finally decided what we were doing.

There are still several options. Good ones, frankly. And we are exploring them.

I was just musing that the likely course is us winding down. And I was sharing that with all of you like I would with friends over a beer. The problem is, though these boards may feel to me like a talk with friends over a beer, they are public boards. And when I say the stuff I say, people take it as official pronoucnements. And I dont blame you.

The bottom line is this: if we HAD to stop, I am OK with that. I am proud of our accomplishments. And I dont want to just tread water. Necro is about more than that. And if that is the way things go, then that is how they go. And that is OK.

BUT this decision isnt final. Sorry if I have sounded gloomy. I have simply done a rational review of the circumstances.

I also agree with some of the prior posts that it would be great for Bill and I to do an adventure. We are strongly considering that.

I think all of this got started with the suspension of the Necro adventure path. With our partnership with WW ending, that threw that project into doubt. Until we had new and solid distributorship lined up I couldnt ask people to dedicate the time and expense to work on a project that might not happen. That is a very unique project.

Clark

Frilf

Explorer
Well, this thread has been an emotional roller coaster ride. I'm glad to hear you're thinking about sticking it out, guys. Your company, products, and people are simply class all the way! Hang in there!

:) :) :)

Treebore

First Post
I don't see the sharing as a bad thing. It may have been just the thing that needed to happen to help them find good solutions.

Like I have said before, we have a year or so to see how things play out. Now that more people are aware of the issues Necromancer are facing and the questions they need answered, I think they are more likely to meet up with someone who has the right answers.

So lets all keep our eyes and ears open and see if we can help Necromancer find the right people to fix their problems.

It isn't like they need money, they just need different partners/business relations to keep things going. It can't be so hard to do as to be impossible.

Yeah, I think Necromancer is going be sticking around.

senodam

First Post
Nightfall said:
WW joint stuff with EVE online is just one of the things I had an issue with. The very major issue to me is the fact they basically shelved d20 in favor of NWoD which to me is silly. Since Exalted has done way better and been more widely used. They should have just stuck with Exalted and moved along with d20.

Given that WoD is/was/will be White Wolf's best known and longest running game line, I can't really see them shelving it in favour of D20 anytime soon...especially not since that would annoy and alienate just as many (if not more) fans than their dropping of the D20 lines.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Maggan said:
I'd rather say that if WW had a gold mine with Necro, then they have a million gold mines after teaming up with the EVE Online gang.

From an economic standpoint, not focussing their dollars on the computer deal would be stupid. Immensly stupid.

/M

I'll echo this sentiment.

A lot of people bag on White Wolf for going where the money is, but as a business, they must do this if they want to keep their doors open. They could have stuck to their current, non-profit, generating business model and wound up like Eden Studios (whose release schedule largely stalled more than a year ago and who has since lost the license for their best selling game line) or AEG (who is dangerously close to pinting no RPGs at all). White Wolf did what it had to do to stay afloat.

Rather than damning WW for making the decisions that they did, people should start looking at why they made those decisions -- the bottom has virtually fallen out of the market for physical third-party d20 supplements, which is why WW isn't alone in abandoning them. Atlas Games stopped publishing them entirely, as did AEG. Companies like Mongoose have started supporting other game lines, while cutting back on d20 releases. These choices weren't made without good reason.

Me? I'd rather see good publishers drop what doesn't earn them money and stick around to do other stuff in the future than cut their own throat to placate a bunch of selfish fans. Silly White Wolf for choosing to focus its efforts on the games that earn it the most money (e.g., NWoD, Exalted) and seeking to broaden their horizons via the EVE merger. I mean, what's up with them trying to stay in business! LAAAAAAAAAME! ;)

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'll echo this sentiment.

A lot of people bag on White Wolf for going where the money is, but as a business, they must do this if they want to keep their doors open. They could have stuck to their current, non-profit, generating business model and wound up like Eden Studios (whose release schedule largely stalled more than a year ago and who has since lost the license for their best selling game line) or AEG (who is dangerously close to pinting no RPGs at all). White Wolf did what it had to do to stay afloat.

Rather than damning WW for making the decisions that they did, people should start looking at why they made those decisions -- the bottom has virtually fallen out of the market for physical third-party d20 supplements, which is why WW isn't alone in abandoning them. Atlas Games stopped publishing them entirely, as did AEG. Companies like Mongoose have started supporting other game lines, while cutting back on d20 releases. These choices weren't made without good reason.

Me? I'd rather see good publishers drop what doesn't earn them money and stick around to do other stuff in the future than cut their own throat to placate a bunch of selfish fans. Silly White Wolf for choosing to focus its efforts on the games that earn it the most money (e.g., NWoD, Exalted) and seeking to broaden their horizons via the EVE merger. I mean, what's up with them trying to stay in business! LAAAAAAAAAME! ;)

My question is if this EVE partnership is so lucrative why did they have to sever their ties with Necromancer?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases