Necromancer Games shutting down next year.(UPDATE post 93)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Monte At Home said:

Well, that's purely speculation, but the early promo threads and ad copy seemed to suggest as much. If this isn't the case, I apologize. That said, if this isn't the case, it also means that White Wolf has announced only one future d20 product. One product. I can't say that bodes well for the future of d20 at White Wolf ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is the first I've heard of "Monte Cook's World of Darkness." At first I just assumed it was some sort of prolonged typo. ;)

That said, beyond message board speculation, the only official announcement I can find about it is here, and though I wish it did, it doesn't in any way indicate that it'll be d20.

Having said that, I've never much cared for World of Darkness at all, but this will be worth at least an interested glance (I'd probably buy it in an instant if it does turn out to be d20).

Psion

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
That said, if this isn't the case, it also means that White Wolf has announced only one future d20 product. One product. I can't say that bodes well for the future of d20 at White Wolf ;)

Well, I don't know if anything new is coming up for WoW RPG (but they did just have 2 releases), but if so, it's sad for roleplaying all around at White Wolf, since their best selling RPG at the WoW online store is d20, as is the third best selling.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Psion said:
Well, I don't know if anything new is coming up for WoW RPG (but they did just have 2 releases), but if so, it's sad for roleplaying all around at White Wolf, since their best selling RPG at the WoW online store is d20, as is the third best selling.

Well, not releasing new material isn't the same as halting all sales of existing material (for all I know, they have warehouses d20 System stuff to move). That said, the only d20 product that is currently listed under future releases for SS&S is The Tome of Artifacts.

[Edit: As for the WoW online store stats, keep in mind that this is one store (thus the rankings don't mean much). I always cite the G&GR rankings, as they represent a sampling of many retailers, thus, they tend to more accurately reflect market realities (they aren't 100% accurate, but they're still better than single store surveys).]

Last edited:

Orcus

First Post
Everyone, I really appreciate the outpouring of support. I'll admit, things were looking bleak. But, perhaps as a result of this thread, a few new developments have arisen. I dont yet know what will happen. But know this: if there is a feasible way for Bill and I to do Necro in a way consistent with our vision, we will. That is a promise.

You can't keep a good Necromancer down for long.

That, friend, is the truth! :)

I cant tell you how much Bill and I appreciate everyone's kind words. Hopefully there will be some really good news in the not-so distant future.

Clark

froggie

First Post
a note on Kenzer

If not for David Kenzer, Mark and Steve, we would never have even continued to publish short (e.g. not huge) books. David and I made a committment a couple years ago (really for the good of the hobby) that we would do this as long as we didn't lose any money. The K&Co guys have done a spectacular job of keeping to this. Lots of folks would never have seen a book in print if not for them.

The sales failed to meet (ours and their) expectations, but when I called David a year or so ago, he and I decided to keep making books, since we were (basically) breaking even, and we felt that the world needed more adventures. We also agreed that quality was important (note we still have the best covers and maps in d20), and decided not to drop that aspect of our products to make more money.

Both companies really expected better sales, but, in the final analysis, that was not meant to be. We also decided to keep putting out books, becuase it was the right thing to do. I would imagine after our next 8 books, we'll revisit this.

Thanks guys (K&Co).

Remove ads