• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer Games shutting down next year.(UPDATE post 93)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Wow. This sucks.

Necromancer stuff is among my most favorite. That's saying a lot coming from me. I have extremely high standards for the stuff I use in my campaign. And I don't consider WoTC stuff among that set, actually. Most of my stuff is Necromancer stuff.

If Tegel Manor doesn't get published, it has to at least go to pdf. I need more Wilderlands stuff!!

Treebore

First Post
Well Bill is a very positive "can do" kind of guy, so if Necromancer stays "open", Bill definitely has the drive to do so. I don't know about Clark, I have never met him in person. Being a Prosecuter I am sure he is a "make it happen" kind of person, so I'm sure everything that can be done, will be done, to keep Necromancer going.

So hopefully things will turn around by the time the "final" decision has to be made. A lot can happen in a year or so. Hopefully some really good stuff, that keeps Necromancer going.

bowbe

First Post
You Do know...

You guys do know that Froggie is Bill Webb the other half of Necromancer Games's brain trust right folks? You know, the guy at Gen Con buying pitchers and chicken wings, and cackling as players get turned to ashes. It never fails to give me a chuckle when I see him post something and everyone continues to move along with their same line of script as if he said nothing at all! Hahaha.

I really can't imagine Bill doing anything else.

As he said, don't toss the earth on the coffin just yet.

If anything I feel more Undead than ever.

Case

catsclaw227

First Post
Treebore said:
At least we have 8 more products from Kenzer, plus the GenCon releases, and hopefully Tegal Manor, before the end will actually be here. Plus my daughters art work will be in 4 of those 8.

I am hopeful still. If Froggie says not to hammer the nails in the coffin, then I loiter in the shadows like a ghoul, awaiting more.

BTW, what are these remaining products?

Treebore

First Post
bowbe said:
You guys do know that Froggie is Bill Webb the other half of Necromancer Games's brain trust right folks? You know, the guy at Gen Con buying pitchers and chicken wings, and cackling as players get turned to ashes. It never fails to give me a chuckle when I see him post something and everyone continues to move along with their same line of script as if he said nothing at all! Hahaha.

I really can't imagine Bill doing anything else.

As he said, don't toss the earth on the coffin just yet.

If anything I feel more Undead than ever.

Case

True Case, but they need to have reliable publishing, and to sell enough units to make it worth their time and effort, at least for their wives. Without WW that isn't going to happen, because Kenzer is not getting enough market sales.

So what we really need is for Necromancer to find a publisher to work with who can sell enough product to keep the Necromancer wives happy.

Every publisher suggestion I have seen thrown at them has been a "no".

So Bill wants to keep things going, and presumable so does Clark, but they have to find a way to publish and still operate the way they do. Not an easy combo to find.

So the big question that needs to be answered is does a publisher exist that Necromancer can work with?

Unless such a publisher is found, or Bill/froggie/Tsathogga decides to do his own publishing, what is Necromancer supposed to do?

I agree pdf is better than nothing, but it still isn't nearly as good as still being a print company. Plus I repeatedly hear/read how little money is made with pdf only.

Hopefully they will talk with Goodman, Expeditious Retreat, Green Ronin, or any other company I am not thinking of right now, that can publish for Necromancer. I say these three because they have all shown a willingness to do such partnerships.

We have over a year to find out. I hope it ends up not being an ending.

Treebore

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I am hopeful still. If Froggie says not to hammer the nails in the coffin, then I loiter in the shadows like a ghoul, awaiting more.

BTW, what are these remaining products?

Let me quote Michael P.'s post in the other thread:

"Despite Clark's announcement, Bill Webb has said he intends to see everything already in the pipeline get into print if he can. There are a few new products coming out in the next few months-Elemental Moon by Lance Hawvermale, Ari's Tome of Artifacts through WW, Nate Paul's follow up to Greay Citadel-The Eamonvale Incursion, Greg Vauhn's Slumbering Tsar, and the City of Brass boxed set at Gen Con. Tegel is still possible if soemthigns can worked out. I don't think Necro is going to disappear overnight."

Slumbering Tsar is a 3 part series. Other than that I can't remember titles for the other Kenzer/Necromancer releases.

Remove ads