• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer Games shutting down next year.(UPDATE post 93)

greywulf

First Post
Sad news indeed. I wish them all the best for the future. You can't keep a good Necromancer down for long.

One day, just maybe we'll hear the cry: "4th Edition rules, 3rd Edition feel!"

So long, and thanks for all the great stuff. My gaming group and I owe you much happiness.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't liked their more recent products (and completely missed most of the recent ones, since they seem to be in stealth mode when it comes to PR - if not for Treebore, I suspect people would think they went out of business a couple years ago), but their early stuff is some of my favorites.

Still, I can't blame them. d20 is pretty much dying, in terms of non-WOTC stuff, in part perhaps because of just people are probably getting tired of it, but also because WOTC is moving more towards modules themselves, which cuts into the remaining area of d20 profitability (or so it seems).

replicant2

First Post
That's too bad. I feel diminished as a gamer when any publisher of gaming material goes under.

That said, I wonder if this is an inevitable by-product of too many choices in too limited a market. I don't own any Necromancer Games products (though I've meant to pick up a module or two), but I do own several Goodman Games modules from the Dungeon Crawl Classic line. Between those, Dungeon magazine, and now WOTC once again, the market for modules already seems fairly saturated.

I know Necromancer makes other products, but modules seemed to be a large portion of their line.

Vocenoctum

First Post
T. Foster said:
No. Judges Guild and Necro had already gone their separate ways and Tegel Manor was already scheduled to be Necro's last JG release. Future JG d20 reprints (starting with, I believe, Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor) are being done by Goodman Games, and new Wilderlands C&C stuff is being done by James Mishler's company (Adventure Games, or something like that?).

This sort of sums up the problem I think. How many publishers did they have to deal with...

I'm not a NecroFan, though the folks were friendly/ knowledgeable enough, but I can imagine the business could get pretty frustrating for them.

Bregh

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
That sucks.

I agree.

I don't run d20 games, and I enthusiastically buy NG products because the material's worth doing the backwards conversion.

Man, what a bummer.

Klaus

First Post
I'm proud to have been published in the Tome of Horrors.

Bill & Clark's Excellent Adventure in d20 Publishing won't be forgotten.

Twowolves

Explorer
Man, this REALLY sucks. Necromancer and Green Ronin were the first to hit with quality d20 material, and still are the best. I have almost everything they put out, before the mind-boggling switch to Kenzer for distribution. Products that were in the pipline for which I was eagerly awaiting were "released" by Kenzer, so hush-hush, so in-the-dead-of-night, under the radar, that I thought they were cancelled and never released.

I hope something changes this, but can't imagine what that might be. The 3rd party d20 market is awfully lonely, now that one of the first and greatest has been silenced.

Remove ads