Necron - a grim undead-like living construct

LordArchaon

Explorer
I guess the majority of you know about the Necrons from Warhammer 40k.
I always thought they fitted some fantasy settings, I hope they'll fit for some of you (they actually don't fit in my current setting, but I couldn't help creating the race...).

NECRON
Ancient spirits tied to bodies of metal, the Necrons were once slaves of their dark masters and are now seeking a place in the world, amidst people who despise them for their grim, undead-like nature.
transnecron3mg7.png

Average Height: 6' 2"
Average Weight: 250lb

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Supernal
Skill Bonus: +2 History
Construct: You have the construct keyword, so
you are considered to be a construct for effec
that relate to that keyword.
Living Construct: As a living construct, you have
the following traits.

• You gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against
    ongoing damage.
  • You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe, but this
    doesn’t render you immune to any combat effect.
  • Rather than sleep, warforged spend 4 hours
    refraining from any strenuous activity. You ne
    to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same
    benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour
    extended rest. While resting in this low-exer-
    tion state, you are fully aware of your surroun
    ings and notice approaching enemies and oth
    events as normal.
  • When reduced to 0 hit points, you are less likely
    to die. When you make a death saving throw,
    you can take the better of your die roll or 10.
    You still die at the normal negative hit point total.
    See also I'll Come Back, below.
Body of Metal: When you're not bloodied, you receive a +1 racial bonus to AC.
Necrotic Spark: You have a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls made using powers with the Necrotic keyword.
I'll Come Back: You can use I'll Come back as a daily power.

I'll Come Back -- Necron Racial Power
Just when you seemed to be dead for sure, you rise again.
Daily
Immediate Reaction -- Personal

Trigger: you make your third death saving throw.
Effect: you gain a healing surge and treat your die roll as a 20.

[FONT=&quot]Created in ancient times by powerful necromancers, Necrons were humans who were tricked into forsaking their mortal existences in favor of a nearly immortal, but enslaved condition. With the death of their masters, Necrons at first fell into a stasis condition, just to awake after centuries with no memory of their past life as slave-soldiers, finding themselves scattered around the world.
They however remember many things of their long life and because of such a long lifespan, they are usually very smart and deep thinkers.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Play a Necron if you want …[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]To be tough and smart at the same time, resembling an undead creature.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]To play a troubled character, with an obscure and forgotten origin.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]To play a warlock, a wizard or a warlord.[/FONT]
necronlordtn4.png

HEROIC FEATS:

Necrotic Surge [Necron]
Prerequisite:
Necron
Benefit: you regain an ancient battle power that you were infused with by your creators.

Necrotic Surge -- Necron Racial Power
Necrotic energy, while still damaging, gives you an edge in battle, just like your creators wanted.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction -- Personal

Trigger: you take necrotic damage.
Effect: you only take half damage and you gain an action point that you must spend before the end of your next turn.

PARAGON FEATS:
Phantom of Battle [Necron]
Prerequisite:
Necron
Benefit: after using the I'll Come Back racial power, you become Insubstantial until the end of the encounter.

Last edited:

LordArchaon

Explorer
over all, thumbs up.

feats should never add powers, only swap or modify.

Thank you!

I tried many times to find a wording that could replace the power, but I found it was even more awkward to give a per encounter effect with a feat.
I'm basically trying to represent the fact that these beings don't have necrotic energy resistance (it would make them too powerful against undead in my opinion) but they were created to react positively to necrotic damage.
Ideally, the creators used necromantic spells to both damage the enemy soldiers and give an edge (although also some damage) to their expendable necron troops.
I thought a power was the best way to represent this, but yes, even Channel Divinity is only a power swapper...

So I'd suggest...

Necrotic Absorption
Prerequisites: Necron
Effect: Each time a power with the Necrotic keyword misses you, you gain 5 temporary HP

Or

Necrotic Metabolism
Effect: Each time a power with the Necrotic keyword hits you, roll a saving throw. On a result of 1-9 you take normal damage, on a result of 10-19 you take half damage, on a 20 you take half damage but gain an action point.

or

Necrotic Conversion
Effect: Each time a power with the Necrotic keyword hits you, you can choose to spend an Action Point as an immediate action to avoid damage and gain temporary HP equal to half the damage value.

I find the first and last one appealing, although they change the original concept.

Another one:

Entropy Stealer
Effect: Each time a power with the Necrotic keyword misses you by 10 or more, you gain an action point that you must spend before the end of your next turn.

It could call for a Paragon feat like this

Entropy Field
Prerequisites: Necron, Entropy Stealer
Effect: you and allies within 5 squares gain a +2 defense bonus against any power with the Necrotic keyword. Additionally, Entropy Stealer triggers when the conditions are met by one ally within 5 squares too.

Last edited:

generalhenry

First Post
All Divine Channeling feats add an Encounter power

you still only get one per encounter, it's much closer to a swap.

some Multiclass feats add a power of some sort

they're also strictly superior to other feats, and limited to one multiclass feat only. They're a set part of the limit.

I'm basically trying to represent the fact that these beings don't have necrotic energy resistance (it would make them too powerful against undead in my opinion)

necrotic resist 3 would be fine imo

Deltran

First Post
I owe you an appology, LordArchaon: when I first saw this thread I rolled my eyes at the cross-genre race. But after reading the stats and story, I think it's really cool.

So - I'm sorry, and good work!

Although most of the forum goers arn't stupid, I think you should re-word "Body of Metal"

Body of metal: You recieve a +1 racial bonus to AC when you are not bloodied.

As a side note, that mechanic almost a death spiral, but between the living construct abilities and the I'll Come Back daily, it shouldn't be a bid deal.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
you still only get one per encounter, it's much closer to a swap.

they're also strictly superior to other feats, and limited to one multiclass feat only. They're a set part of the limit.
1/ No, swapping does not increase your options.

2/ Do you now recognize that there are feats which add, and do not swap or modify?

Cheers, -- N

LordArchaon

Explorer
I owe you an appology, LordArchaon: when I first saw this thread I rolled my eyes at the cross-genre race. But after reading the stats and story, I think it's really cool.

So - I'm sorry, and good work!

Although most of the forum goers arn't stupid, I think you should re-word "Body of Metal"

Body of metal: You recieve a +1 racial bonus to AC when you are not bloodied.

As a side note, that mechanic almost a death spiral, but between the living construct abilities and the I'll Come Back daily, it shouldn't be a bid deal.

Thank you!

I corrected the wording to make it similar to the dragonborn one, and the one you suggested.

I'd now request some feedback on the last two feats I suggested, I'll put them here again...

Entropy Stealer
Effect: Each time a power with the Necrotic keyword misses you by 10 or more, you gain an action point that you must spend before the end of your next turn.

It could call for a Paragon feat like this

Entropy Field
Prerequisites: Necron, Entropy Stealer
Effect: you and allies within 5 squares gain a +2 defense bonus against any power with the Necrotic keyword. Additionally, Entropy Stealer triggers when the conditions are met by one ally within 5 squares too.

The general idea is that when necrotic energy flows sufficiently near and sufficiently harmlessly to the necron, its body automatically absorbs it and converts it in something similar to adrenalin/steroids...

I don't remember where I saw the mechanic of "missed by 10 or more", but I'm sure it has appeared in official core rules, kudos to who will quote me them!

I also need help with the wording of the second feat: I want it to be clear that it provides an aura in which both the necron and its allies have bolstered defense against necrotic powers (thus improving the probability of a miss by 10 or more) and in which also the allies may trigger the effect of the Entropy Stealer feat, but I want it to be clear that in that case as in the normal case, it's the necron the one who gains the action point!

Critiques always well accepted (but with these ideas, no, I now refuse to give necrons plain necrotic resistance, it's not flavorful enough)

P.S.: Check my new signature!

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The rule is, feats should never add powers. That doesn't mean they can't.
If the rules don't follow the rules, what possibly can?

Look, some feats do grant extra powers. Instead of making a (wrong) blanket statement about how 4e should work, try to look at how it does work.

There are some commonalities in the feats that grant powers. Wouldn't it be more interesting to try to see what they are, instead of trying to justify a hard line that doesn't actually exist?

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads