D&D 5E Negative constitution modifier

Malovaan

First Post
Hi there, just a basic question which I'm struggling to find an answer to in the players handbook. Say you had a negative constitution modifier (-2 for example), would there be anything stopping your HP going down upon leveling, if you rolled really badly?

i.e. if you had -2 con, rolled a 1 for your level-up HP, would your total HP go down by 1 point?

delericho

Legend
I believe there's a rule that you gain a minimum of 1hp each time you go up a level. But I don't have the rules easily to hand right now - certainly, it was the case in 3e and 4e, and if it's not the case in 5e I'll be surprised (and will promptly house-rule).

Paraxis

Explorer
There is not a minimum per level in the rules. Now there are a few things that keep it from being an issue, by default you can use rolling or the ability score array, and either way assign where your abilities go, so don't give yourself a Con score of less than 10. Second when you level up you can roll or take the average(rounded up), again not giving the player a choice is a house rule.

But yes if you put a 6 in Con and get a (-2) ability modifier, and then roll for hit points on level up and always roll a 1 netting yourself a -1 h.p per level, you could die from gaining XP. This perfect horrible storm will not see actual play at a table though so it doesn't matter.

Yes at level 1 you subtract add the Con modifier to your max HD value, so a wizard with a 6 Con would have 6+(-2)=4 h.p.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This was the subject of a lengthy thread at RPG.net several weeks ago. I don't believe anyone found a place where the PHB flat-out says you get a minimum of one HP per level, but it seems to me to be heavily implied. Hopefully if/when any errata are released, this will be on it.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Any chance you can provide the source for that in the rulebook? I can't seem to locate it =/

Because they forgot to include this line from the playtest: "A creature has a minimum of 1 hit point per Hit Die."

But it worked that way in previous editions too and it's also what common sense says - you get better with level up, not worse. :)

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't think there needs to be any errata on the issue, just don't roll for your HP take the average, and don't put a low score in your constitution in the first place. Why make errata for something that won't happen, and if it does happen the player or DM wanted it to.

Herr der Qual

First Post
...by default you can use rolling or the ability score array, and either way assign where your abilities go, so don't give yourself a Con score of less than 10. Second when you level up you can roll or take the average(rounded up), again not giving the player a choice is a house rule....

Unless your in a campaign where all characters roll stats in order, no swap outs or extra rolls. Regardless of 4D6 drop lowest or straight 3D6 rolls you can wind up with a poor CON stat, not many people do it this way but generally using this character generation system the DM is prepared for an important stat to be low by having certain magic items available to the player to make the early stages of the campaign survivable for them.

Edit: Also, at every table I've ever played at we roll for our HP, taking the average has been either house ruled out, one DM allowed it, but no one ever took it.

Remove ads