Nentir Vale coming to 5e

Mercurius

Legend
The above is for [MENTION=6688049]Polyhedral Columbia[/MENTION]. Not sure if you've seen that one, but it is a pretty nice world map. Nerath is a continent or region within which is the Nentir Vale, not the world. Don't think the world has a proper name.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Nentir Vale needs something to be special, but it is a world where all new things from last editions can be added.

An option could be add parallel earths or timelines like the time spheres from Chronomancer AD&D.

As a matter of fact, one issue of Dragon actually featured an Unearthed Arcana article on incorporating time travel into your campaigns, complete with a 20th level Ritual called "Time Portal" that lets you open gateways to different time periods - it even had a character theme article and a bazaar of the bizarre article to tie into it.

Mind you, another Unearthed Arcana in Dungeon discussed using the Far Realm as outer space rather than as an alternative plane, so aberrations are actually alien monsters from other planets, complete with discussion on incorporating X-Files style "alien events" into your games and stats for Greys as monsters...

My trick to avoid paradoxes by chrononauts or time-travelers is the characters can't change the past because they really they go to a parallel earth, a time sphere, something like the hollow earth from Mystara. And if a timeline suffer many changes, then the alternate timeline doesn't disappear really but it becomes a special type of demiplane, a kingdom of dreams (or nightmare), where fay lords are more powerful but planar barriers are weaker to stop invasion of creatures from the Far Realm.

I imagine the crystal sphere of Nentir Vale like a solar system with some worlds, and these has their planar gates with other D&D (and Magic: the Gathering) worlds (Grayhawk, Dragonlance, Mystara, Birthright). We could say I imagine Nentir Vale like the d&d version of Stargate SG-1 with a piece of the teleserie "Sliders" and the battleworld from the last Secret Wars marvel comics saga.

Remove ads