Nentir Vale coming to 5e

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This, although it sounds like maybe Mike would like to make it more official.

I would love to run a 5e Nentir Vale campaign without having to do all the conversion work myself.

In the long run, the usage of the Nentir Vale pantheon on Critical Role makes it more likely to make a comeback of some sort down the line.

This and Cubicle 7's material for 5e is probably what I desire the most for this edition of D&D. Each time I start a campaign I want to run it in the Vale, but having to look for bits of lore all over the place to have an overview is really complicated and reading the supplement just make me want to run a 4e instead (I really love 4e).

So having a all the lore (not too much though, gotta keep the point of light feel of it) at the same place would be great, as having a few missing races and and setting specific archetypes just for fun. Mearl's Loth warlock, raven queen warlock etc.

Here you go

QuietBrowser

First Post
In the long run, the usage of the Nentir Vale pantheon on Critical Role makes it more likely to make a comeback of some sort down the line.

Well, to be fair, the Nentir Vale Pantheon's been officially written up as much as any PHB pantheon since the DMG came out. I don't know why they stuck it in the DMG and gave us all those real world pantheons in the PHB, but there you go.

Forgot to say this earlier: I really, really want a Nentir Vale sourcebook for 5e. We had what was going to be a Nentir Vale Gazetteer, a 4e analogue to the Known World Gazetteers that fleshed out the Mystara world back for BECMI, literally ready to print before Mearls ordered it cancelled. My deepest hope is that they still have it saved somewhere in the WotC archives and can use that to flesh out the world. Even if it is just a reprinting of all of the Nerathi Legends articles and the few other "regional" articles from Dragon, the Nentir Vale deserves some love.

Forgot to say this earlier: I really, really want a Nentir Vale sourcebook for 5e. We had what was going to be a Nentir Vale Gazetteer, a 4e analogue to the Known World Gazetteers that fleshed out the Mystara world back for BECMI, literally ready to print before Mearls ordered it cancelled. My deepest hope is that they still have it saved somewhere in the WotC archives and can use that to flesh out the world. Even if it is just a reprinting of all of the Nerathi Legends articles and the few other "regional" articles from Dragon, the Nentir Vale deserves some love.
Actually, they didn't. According to Bill Slavicsek, the Gazetteer wasn't done -- it sounds like it had barely been started when they pulled the plug.

jgsugden

Legend
It might get released as something like a UA article... I do not think NV will get offiicial products again. It would fall behind FR, Eberron, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Krynn, M:tG worlds, Spelljammer, Planescape, etc... in priority and the core concept of the setting - the world has fallen into despair and there are only a few safe points of life is simultaneously inconsistent with the design of 5E and not distinct enough to warrant special handling.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't watch Critical Role, but I thought Matthew Mercer's setting (Tal'Dorei?) had its own pantheon.

Nope, it has the 4E pantheon and Dawn War mythos, with one goddess from Golorian in the mix from their Pathfinder phase. In game, they reference Pelor, Kord, Bane, etc. In published material, they use euphemistic names like the Dawnfather, the Storm Lord, the Emperor of Strife, etc.

pukunui

Legend
Huh. That's interesting.

Back when 5e was still in playtest mode, I had started designing a setting inspired by Chris Perkins' Valoreign campaign combined with Game of Thrones. I had expanded the size of the inverted British Isles V to be closer to the size of Westeros and had put Nentir Vale in the northern reaches as the frontier area. I had also replaced the default pantheons with a group of gods based on the Seven from GoT.

As with Valoreign, my "Valoria" campaign never got off the ground either. I wasn't confident enough and ended up just running published adventures instead of trying to come up with my own stuff. Lately I've been wanting to revisit it, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. That's interesting.

Back when 5e was still in playtest mode, I had started designing a setting inspired by Chris Perkins' Valoreign campaign combined with Game of Thrones. I had expanded the size of the inverted British Isles V to be closer to the size of Westeros and had put Nentir Vale in the northern reaches as the frontier area. I had also replaced the default pantheons with a group of gods based on the Seven from GoT.

As with Valoreign, my "Valoria" campaign never got off the ground either. I wasn't confident enough and ended up just running published adventures instead of trying to come up with my own stuff. Lately I've been wanting to revisit it, though.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Part of what makes the world building in Critical Role fun is that it is pretty "standard," with the definition being in detail rather than high concepts. Very organic feel.

But, one result of the Tal'Dorei Campaign Guide being so popular, is that any WotC product with the Nentir Vale would risk looking too much like Critical Role. But that could be an asset for a product? Interesting times...

Remove ads