3PP Release New 3PP release: Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete! AVAILABLE NOW!

Quick question:: I noticed that in Complete that the Unliving Heritage's healing from necrotic has gone down from Prof. Bonus per Short or Long Rest to once per Long Rest. Was an older version of Light & Dark used, or had that been nerfed? Part of me is figuring that its the former since in the Healing expanded spell list in the Glorified Warlock Archetype lists three 5th levels, the first of which being listed is Stormkick

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Hmm. I'll have to take a look. I think that may have been nerfed, but I am not 100% sure on that. And thanks for the catch on the expanded spell list, I'll get that fixed in the next batch of PDF revisions too.

Thanks for looking into it. I figured I'd ask since it was throwing me off since it didn't seem like one of the things that was called attention to before and Light & Dark didn't have that formatting snag in its latest version.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Thanks for looking into it. I figured I'd ask since it was throwing me off since it didn't seem like one of the things that was called attention to before and Light & Dark didn't have that formatting snag in its latest version.
Okay, as near as I can determine, here's what happened with those.

The original version of necrotic healing was originally unlimited; it could basically be used at will. We realized that was way too good; cantrips that deal necrotic damage exist, and even inflict wounds is unbalanced for use as a healing spell, even with a limited target list. We realized between Light & Dark and Complete that it was still too good as a short rest feature, so we nerfed it some more.

The typo in the spell list was entirely unrelated; I had to manually reconstruct those because formatting doesn't transfer from Google Drive to Affinity, so that was almost certainly just a copy-paste error because I was using a different table as a template.

Last edited:

xiphumor

Legend

The original version of necrotic healing was originally unlimited; it could basically be used at will. We realized that was way too good; cantrips that deal necrotic damage exist, and even inflict wounds is unbalanced for use as a healing spell, even with a limited target list. We realized between Light & Dark and Complete that it was still too good as a short rest feature, so we nerfed it some more.

The typo in the spell list was entirely unrelated; I had to manually reconstruct those because formatting doesn't transfer from Google Drive to Affinity, so that was almost certainly just a copy-paste error because I was using a different table as a template.
Am I wrong, or was I the one who pointed that out? I think I noticed it when I was planning to play an Unliving.

Again, thank you for checking, as well as giving your reasoning and thought process on this! Guess it was a nice little coincidence picking up the error.

I'll admit it unfortunately seems like it's big loss for Unliving. While I can see the cantrips and Inflict Wounds heavily skew towards being extremely efficient for their respective resource expenditure being too good, it felt fair as a trade off. Given that besides the limited creature type, they'd be limited by the amount of times it could actually work in combat. Only being able to magically healed once a day is positively crippling in some fights given that almost all of them (especially the usual the mass healing spells) exclude Undead and non-rare multi-hit necrotic spells pretty few at low levels. Though I suppose that really drives home the need to craft rare spells for healing the Unliving party member(s) in combat.

Pedantic

Legend
Again, thank you for checking, as well as giving your reasoning and thought process on this! Guess it was a nice little coincidence picking up the error.

I'll admit it unfortunately seems like it's big loss for Unliving. While I can see the cantrips and Inflict Wounds heavily skew towards being extremely efficient for their respective resource expenditure being too good, it felt fair as a trade off. Given that besides the limited creature type, they'd be limited by the amount of times it could actually work in combat. Only being able to magically healed once a day is positively crippling in some fights given that almost all of them (especially the usual the mass healing spells) exclude Undead and non-rare multi-hit necrotic spells pretty few at low levels. Though I suppose that really drives home the need to craft rare spells for healing the Unliving party member(s) in combat.
I think there's some misunderstanding here. The Unliving doesn't have any trait or ability that inhibits normal magical healing, they have an ability that provides an additional way to heal a limit amount daily. I think you're importing some older edition rules around Cure/Inflict spells and the Undead type.

Remove ads