D&D 4E New 4E term "combat advantage"

Cyronax

Explorer
Gnome Slayer

SteveC said:
Combat Advantage? Bah! Don't like the name...not enough flavor! How about "Platinum Fray Ascendancy!"

What?

;)

--Steve

How about calling it 'THE HIGH GROUND?!'? Kind of like in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith with Obi-Wan shouting, "Anakin, I've got the high ground, there is no way you can win!."

In all situations that one is mildly on higher footing then your enemy, then you are granted a Combat Advantage (translated into familiar 3e terminology) consisting of a +10 to hit and +3d6 sneak attack damage (b/c your opponent is obviously caught flat-footed by the overwhelming might of being a foot or two lower than you).

This makes playing a Small character particularly dangerous, and goes a long way in explaining why gnomes were cut from the 4e core races. Stupid gnomes :] .

Only Yoda himself was able to master the Jedi art of countering the HIGH GROUND Combat Advantage. Its takes a Jedi Master in the end.

C.I.D.

Jackelope King

First Post
If combat advantage is indeed a catch-all for how to activate different abilities, I like it already. Consolidation of like but poorly-differentiated concepts is a good thing, and creating a single discrete state (which can be abstracted to describe numerous possible in-game scenarios) from which abilities can be derived is a great idea.

It looks like combat is getting a nice overhaul from what we've seen of 4e so far.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Jackelope King said:
If combat advantage is indeed a catch-all for how to activate different abilities, I like it already. Consolidation of like but poorly-differentiated concepts is a good thing, and creating a single discrete state (which can be abstracted to describe numerous possible in-game scenarios) from which abilities can be derived is a great idea.

It looks like combat is getting a nice overhaul from what we've seen of 4e so far.
I just wanted to say that even if I made a joke about it, I agree completely with this. If you're looking for an example of why I say I trust the game designers at WotC it's this: a good combination of factors that are handled slightly differently, but all basically amount to the same thing. Also, by making combat advantage something the attacker worries about and giving it a standard bonus, you make it easier to run.

Oh, I also love THE HIGH GROUND! That's my vote. If we can work a color in, it would be perfect...

;)

--Steve

KingCrab

First Post
Cyronax said:
How about calling it 'THE HIGH GROUND?!'? Kind of like in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith with Obi-Wan shouting, "Anakin, I've got the high ground, there is no way you can win!."

This only works if combined properly with Lavarulesv2.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Jackelope King said:

Yup. Additionally, you can easily tie more feats into it, like "Improved Combat Advantage", "Opportunistic Combat Advantage, and so on.

Me likes.

Cheers, LT.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Lanefan said:
True, but "Dragon Lands On Peasant" gets my vote. :)

Lanefan

Personally, I prefer "They don't like it up 'em!"

This is where I realise that there may be very few people reading this who have actually seen "Dad's Army"...

Anyway, I do like this idea, if it is indeed how Combat Advantage'll work. A flat bonus given to the attacker, no subtraction or cumulation needed, and clear guidelines for when certain abilities can be used.

All good.

glass

(he, him)
OakwoodDM said:
Personally, I prefer "They don't like it up 'em!"

This is where I realise that there may be very few people reading this who have actually seen "Dad's Army"...
Well, there is at least one! :D

I like the idea too, BTW, if it is what we think it is.

glass.

Remove ads