New 5E Epic Books coming in 2020

Hey amigo! :)

Alrighty, will wait (im)patiently then for this entry to come out.

Keep holding my feet to the coals until I have something ready.

Naturally. So you haven't actually started working on any of this in earnest, correct? Still finishing your other project (visual novel was it?) first?

I had all the prep done for the 5E project ( "F.O.I." )to replace Rise of the Cyberdevils (which required too many stat blocks once I worked everything out). So I might still do one or both at some point.

I have early prep for the Epic Bestiary Addendum A mostly completed.

I am working on the comic book though yes. About 105 pages inked and 45 coloured at this point (of 140 ish).

That is definitely the case. Just don't get too hung up on the category names. I reckon people are more interested in epic stuff in general (at least the crowd of players you are targeting with these addendums) and will be happy with monsters of any kind, than being concerned that the various categories are aptly named. I'm pretty convinced that all of the titles you have listed will draw sufficient attention as is.

I have decided on the categories for the first addendum. I just need to streamline things a bit. Some of the entries require 4 monsters to really explain and that is messing up my 16 monsters (soft) limit.

For instance I have this race that on the one hand are enemies of the gods but I want the entry level versions in around the quasi-deity level.

But getting excited about the entries themselves and came up with some interesting ideas today for the book in general.

Gotcha. Cool concept now that I get what they are supposed to be. Guess this would be one category name that could have a more evocative title , though unsure what a better name would be.

Demon Vampires sounds a bit generic even if its pretty apt.

Man, yet another great sounding idea that never saw the light of day. Really tough to see all these ideas that are going to waste because of mechanical/time issues.

Just my own stupidity/procrastination with a dose of real life getting in the way. Rise of the Cyberdevils was the first of three linked adventures and it was super-epic stuff. Hopefully once I get working on smaller projects I can finish it up.

How about Antediluvian Vampires? Seeing as vampires are for me not just (or even mainly) about being bats, the association escaped me when I read this title.

I'm considering using Antediluvians for another project, plus the Nosferatu are not Earthly and thus Antediluvian doesn't really fit them.

Then I hope you get it. I guess it wouldn't be a product worth selling without a statblock...

I am sure there will be lots of people willing to help out here.

Well, I'm a sucker for good art, but (as pointed out more than once now) I'm way more interested in the flavor and world-building of your ideas than anything else.

Understandable. I should really publish in 1st Edition format and do a pantheon each week.

This is why it pains me always to read snippets about your ideas and then see them get lost in the process of actually getting them published. May it be due to a clunky, time-consuming system, delays of artwork, or other stuff. Especially when any of this extra stuff is not that important to me personally (would pay just as much for a pdf filled with only descriptive text than for one with statblocks and art, at least when you are the publisher!).

Well lets see how I get on this time.

Anyway, enough of me complaining. I would ask if you might reveal some more info about each of the listed categories-mainly to keep this interesting discussion from dying down as well-, but you were already rather reserved about the Atomic Demons, so I doubt there is much hope for more.

Well some stuff I don't want to spoil. But I'll give you a little more on Atomic Demons, the original sextet of classic AD&D demons were mainly based on the elements ranked Type I (Vrock) to Type VI (Balor). The Atomic Demons extend those types from Type VII to Type X, but go beyond mere elements. Of course these demons were even more chaotic and wild and thus are not a part of the Demonium hierarchy.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
At the risk of bloating the project, one thing I'd like to see would be sidebars here or there that talk about epic-level tidbits that don't really fit anywhere else. Like, I recall you once said that planets don't have an AC value (you hit them automatically), but a lot of hit points and a great deal of hardness. A table of those for values for different sized planets would be cool. Or something like the DC of an Escape Artist check (and/or the DC of a Strength check) to escape from a black hole, etc.

Hey Alzrius amigo! :)

At the risk of bloating the project, one thing I'd like to see would be sidebars here or there that talk about epic-level tidbits that don't really fit anywhere else. Like, I recall you once said that planets don't have an AC value (you hit them automatically), but a lot of hit points and a great deal of hardness. A table of those for values for different sized planets would be cool. Or something like the DC of an Escape Artist check (and/or the DC of a Strength check) to escape from a black hole, etc.

Okay cool, no problem. The planet thing could actually be useful.
1601063319701.png
;)

Slowly but surely narrowing down the parameters of the Addendum entries. Another day or two and I should have the completed list and I can just start writing. Its amazing how much cool stuff I have come up with in the past 48 hours.

• I think I have some really scary epic villains (and by scary I don't necessarily mean powerful...because at epic level everything's already powerful)
  • I have some good lore planned on a few topics
  • I may revisit/update a few of the existing Bestiary monsters simply to better tie those into some of the new entries (but I won't count those towards the 'new' stuff)
  • Had a cool visual idea for the art
  • There will be one RIDICULOUS Monster in there (Hey it wouldn't be an Epic Bestiary without it) and its probably the opening entry in the Addendum
  • Had a great idea for a table at the end of the book

That said, still need to condense things a bit, I don't want one particular entry to dominate the Addendum (the way Angels sort of dominated the first Bestiary) and I still want a decent mix of monsters even if there is an over-arching theme or two. So still some planning to do. But I'm excited to work on it.

Should be good to start writing the Addendum book from tomorrow - so we'll see how we get on with that. The current monster list for the book is 12 entries, but a few of those have 4-5 monsters attached to them. So I think its 27 creatures and/or templates which should give a decent enough mix while providing a bit of depth.

I'm a little bit concerned about page spacing because I want the art bigger (especially for the bigger monsters), yet in the original Bestiary the monster text and stat-blocks generally take up (an awkward) 1 1/2 pages. So expect a bunch of 3 and 4 page monster entries. I'll fill the gaps with something interesting I'm sure. ;)

Rhuarc

Explorer
Well, all of that sounds great to me! Fingers crossed you are able to deliver this time around, for all of our sake (time to hopefully earn some money from this passion project again, UK! Always ready to fund your ideas :) )

Please keep us update about your progress and don't hold back with more teasers ^^

Hey Rhuarc amigo! :)

Well, all of that sounds great to me! Fingers crossed you are able to deliver this time around, for all of our sake (time to hopefully earn some money from this passion project again, UK!

Don't see this book selling quite as well as the first Bestiary - but as long as I turn a small profit I'll be happy enough.

Got two artists lined up (one for the cover, one for the interior art), so I can concentrate on the writing. However, I will likely have to ink the interior art (after pencils) myself, so I'll be getting my hands dirty a little bit.

Always ready to fund your ideas :) )

I appreciate it buddy.

Please keep us update about your progress and don't hold back with more teasers ^^

Well the first creature in the book is an Abomination (the only one in the book*). Its both a monster AND a template and one of the creepy monsters I was talking about - I think this book is shaping up to have more of a 'horror' vibe to it...of course these have to be creatures that can frighten even the gods so that should be fun to design and write.

*Maybe had too many Abominations in the first book, but I have a cool idea for one to kick things off in this opening Addendum.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
of course these have to be creatures that can frighten even the gods so that should be fun to design and write.

In terms of epic monsters that frighten deities, I think the one that sticks out best in my mind came from Dicefreaks (sorry U_K!). Specifically, their write-up for Demogorgon, which had these powers (bolding for the part that really makes it super-epic):

Eternal Annihilation (Ex): Aside from recreating the Cosmos (or as he would say, returning it to its intended state), there are few things that please Demogorgon more than feasting on mortal or immortal souls. Any non-divine being killed by Demogorgon in melee combat runs the risk of serving as an appetizer for the Devourer of Souls. Once Demogorgon kills another creature, he may attempt to Eternally Annihilate their soul as a full round action for one of his heads. The victim’s soul receives a Will save DC 75; if the save is successful, the soul successfully escapes the infinite misery of being eternally consumed. If the save fails, the victim is instantly, utterly, and permanently annihilated. Beings with 31 or more class levels and/or hit dice greatly increase Demogorgon’s power; for every powerful being he consumes, Demogorgon receives a +2 bonus to all ability scores, skills, and saving throws for 3 days; these bonuses are cumulative, as is the duration (when Demogorgon consumes Paladins or Clerics of any alignment, the bonuses are doubled). Creatures annihilated by Demogorgon can only be brought back to life by a Greater god or similarly ranked cosmic entity possessing some kind of divine or cosmic power over life and death. There is only a 33% chance of success and the attempt must be made within 6 days of the beings annihilation; beings brought back in this fashion are always one level or hit dice lower than when they died, and have a 66% chance of returning utterly insane as described in Share the Madness (one of The Prince’s gaze attacks). High level beings returned to life by gods or cosmic entities rob Demogorgon of his bonus and make the Devourer of Souls aware of the god or cosmic entity responsible for robbing him of his meal.

Feast of the Divine (Ex): There are few things gods fear. Demogorgon is one of those things. The Prince of Demons has the power to devour gods and cosmic entities just as he has the power to consume mortal creatures. Any cosmic or divine being brought to 0 hit points by Demogorgon in melee combat runs the risk of serving as a main course for the Devourer of Souls. Once Demogorgon kills a cosmic or divine being, he may attempt to Feast on their Divinity as a full round action for both of his heads. The cosmic or divine being receives a Will save DC 75; however, gods cannot use their divine rank as a save modifier and both gods and cosmic entities receive a -2 penalty to their save for every virtual divine rank difference between them and The Prince of Demons. If the god or cosmic entity succeeds, he escapes Demogorgon and returns to his realm or layer of existence. If the god or cosmic entity fails the saving throw, he is immediately, totally, and eternally obliterated; he ceases to grant spells or power to his servants and his husk does not appear on the Astral Plane because it too is utterly consumed. Demogorgon receives a +3 bonus to each of his ability scores, skills, and saving throws per divine rank or virtual divine rank for six days. During these six days, all of the divine or cosmic being’s Clerics and other related divine spellcasters must make a Will save DC 75 or go irrevocably insane and become Chaotic evil. At the end of the six day period, all of the Clerics and related divine spellcasters receive a Fortitude save DC 75; those that fail die instantly and suffer Eternal Annihilation. Only the direct intervention of another god or cosmic entity of at least Greater god rank can interfere with the terrible fate that awaits abandoned Clerics. It is unclear whether or not cosmic or divine beings consumed by Demogorgon can be returned to life; if they can, it is only through the direct intervention of an Overpower.

A monster that can not only devour the souls of deities, but by proxy also devour the souls of their worshipers? Now that's frightening! It really helps to drive home the fact that epic (and cosmic) gaming isn't just about power, but also scope. As such, I hope we see something like this among the Addendum(s)!

Hey Alzrius amigo!

In terms of epic monsters that frighten deities, I think the one that sticks out best in my mind came from Dicefreaks (sorry U_K!).

I forgive you. :giggle:

Specifically, their write-up for Demogorgon, which had these powers (bolding for the part that really makes it super-epic):

A monster that can not only devour the souls of deities, but by proxy also devour the souls of their worshipers? Now that's frightening! It really helps to drive home the fact that epic (and cosmic) gaming isn't just about power, but also scope. As such, I hope we see something like this among the Addendum(s)!

...Hold My Beer... ;)

Hey all! :)

Mulling over some potential header fonts (the text "Alien Gods & Fallen Angels") for the next book...any thoughts?

Title with Header Font A

Epic Bestiary Logo w AR Essence font.jpg

Title with Header font B

Epic Bestiary Logo w DragonSlapper font.jpg

Title with Header font C

Epic Bestiary Logo w Metal Lord font.jpg

Also I thought I would shorten:

Immortals Handbook, Epic Bestiary - Addendum A: Alien Gods & Fallen Angels

down to just

Epic Bestiary: Alien Gods & Fallen Angels

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey UK,

I'd vote for 'B' and agree that the shorter version is much better in my opinion! The pdf description can then elaborate on what the book is exactly and where it has its roots.

Remove ads