• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New 5e rules? Frog God Games/Necromancer Games rules

obsid

First Post
So Frog God Games (Apparently also known as Necromancer Games) appears to have released content under the Open Gaming License (http://froggodgames.com/sites/default/files/promos/The Wizards Amulet (5E).pdf). Now I don't know where they got their information on the 5th edition rules. It could have been from a very early internal alpha build (or it could be the up to date to be released PHB stats).

Can someone tell me if these are a very early playtest that I wasnt aware of or not?

Anyway here are the differences that I saw from the latest playtest:

Paladin
Paladin savings throw proficiencies are now Cha/Wis (was Cha/Con)

Divine Sense is now ranged 60 feet (was 50)
Divine Sense can now learn the "type and number of beings but not thier specific identities"
Divine Sense can now detect the presence of consecrated or desecrated objects or places.
Divine Sense is now limited to Cha mod + 1 times per long rest

Lay on Hands can now only remove a single disease/poison for 5 pool points (rather then all diseases/poisons on a person).
Lay on Hands can now remove a level of exhaustion

Ranger
Ranger saving throws proficiencies are now Dex/Str (were Dex/Wis)

Favored Enemy is now available at level 1 (was lvl2)
Appears a modified form of Natural Explorer is now available at level 1 and called "Explorer’s Sense" (was lvl5)
Tracking is no longer available at level 1 (it may be available at some higher level)

Explorer’s Sense: Your proficiency bonus is doubled when you make a wisdom or intelligence check related to forest terrain and use a skill you are trained in. You cannot become lost in forest terrain and difficult forest terrain doesn't reduce your group's long-distance travel speed.
Favored Enemy now grants advantage to Insight, Investigation, Nature, and Perception checks related to your favored enemy.
(maybe gain language of favored enemy? not sure)

Druid
Druid saving throws are now Wis/Int (was just Wis)
Mending cantrip is now also a druid cantrip (was a mage cantrip allowing you to repair normal broken items).

sorcerer
has an armor ability called "draconic toughness" appears to be like the barbarian ability something like 10+cha+con AC with no armor
HD: 1d6
Savings throws Cha/Con
I think free langugage Draconic?

Abilities (at lvl1)
Dragon Blood: Proficiency doubled on all Cha based skills when interacting with dragons.
Spellcasting: Need to choose a bloodline of dragons. attack bonus and save dc similar to other spell casters, cantrips at will and 2 1st lvl spells per day (like other spell casters)
Cantrips include: acid splash, light, mage hand, ray of frost
1st lvl spells include: burning hands, magic missle

Monk
(still has unarmored defense 10+dex+wis and unarmed strike 1d6+str)
saving throws of Str/Dex (was Dex/Wis)
Ki appears not to apply at lvl 1

Martial Artist: When you make an attack with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon (Clubs, daggers, handaxes, light hammers, maces, quarterstaffs, shortswords, sickles, and spears) you can make a bonus unarmed strike.

gnome race
Minor Illusionist: Can cast minor illusions at will, using Int as his casting ability.
Speak to Small Creatures: Can communicate simple ideas with beasts of size Small or smaller, by using gestures and sounds.
Languages: Gnome
Advnatage on int/wis/cha saving throws vs magic
Not sure what the stat bumps are.

Bard
Spell casting is now avaiable at lvl1
"Bardic Performance" now called "Bard’s Cheer" (not sure on this one)
Bard's Cheer target gains 1d6 that can be added to one saving throw, attack roll, or ability check (after seeing the result of the die roll) in the next 10 minutes limited to 3 times per long rest (no more then 1 on a person at a time)

New Cantrip: blade-warding (dont know what it does)
New 1st lvl spell: Hideous laughter (dont know what it does)

Barbarian
rage: while raging only takes only half damage from slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning attack
Hard to kill: Once per long rest, when reduced to 0 hitpoints (and not killed outright), instead you are reduced to 1 hitpoint.
Brutal Critical Was lvl8 now lvl 1

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I have no idea, but at least the saves would make sense, in that they would switch to giving all classes a 'true' save (dex, con or wis) and a 'secondary' one (str, int or cha).

Baumi

Adventurer
While I applaud them for bringing out a great Adventure at a time where we all need as much adventure-support as possible, I wouldn't read to much into the Pregen-Rules they included. They did far to many things wrong to belief that they have a firm grasp of the rules yet (but really, who does so early).

-) No Character has a background and therefore missing two Skills and 2 Proficiencies/Tools. Thanks to the Costumization Options they didn't even have to use the 5 Standard-Backgrounds for this.
-) Many Weapon-Stats are wrong (two Characters have Quaterstaffs, but each with another damage code and some attacks don't include the stats)
-) There are several References that leads to products that are not released now (like the Druid or Bard Spells).
-) Non-Sensical Weapon Choices. The Sorcerer has even a Named Crossbow, which is useless since he has a far superior Attack Cantrip, while the Wizard has no Attack-Cantrip at all and got no ranged Weapon to compensate.
-) The Fighters Second Wind is called Gather Strength. This is not really a Problem, but it does make you wonder what Manual they were using.

So all in all, I don't think we should read to much into the Rules at the moment.

Yeah FGG have used the 3E OGL, the playtest docs and the Basic PDF to come up with some compatible ideas of their own. But I wouldn't bother reading anything into the pre-gens, they're just best guesses.

But what is cool is that it is an adventure you can run using 5E rules, for free using your own PCs from the Basic PDF :D

caudor

Adventurer
Yeah FGG have used the 3E OGL, the playtest docs and the Basic PDF to come up with some compatible ideas of their own. But I wouldn't bother reading anything into the pre-gens, they're just best guesses.

But what is cool is that it is an adventure you can run using 5E rules, for free using your own PCs from the Basic PDF :D

Very true. This adventure is also heavy on the fluff and easy to tweak if desired. I can't wait to run it (again).

Agamon

Adventurer
While this was the kind of thing WotC was trying to avoid (let everyone see and play with the rules before coming out with their own stuff), I can't blame FGG for giving it a shot, really. I'm sure the adventure will be updated to conform once the PHB comes out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads