• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New adventure path: Age of Worms

Stone Dog

Adventurer
So, basically it is easy enough to turn key players into mighty Daelkyri and use it as the basis for a "Second Coming of Xoriat" game set in Eberron?

Wycen

Explorer
Alzrius said:
No spoilers (since I don't have the issue) but several things have been revealed in previous hints.

"Age of Worms" is the name the Flanaess gives to its apocalypse. It's in the same moniker as Ragnarok or the End of Days. We know that you'll eventually fight and kill Dragotha; that Kyuss is involved (maybe personally), and that in this first adventure, the Vaati (aka the Wind Dukes of Aaqa) have at least a background presence.

Assuming this is true, and I do at the moment, I might have to buy ALL the series. I was only planning to buy this one because of the Maure Castle add-on.

frankthedm

First Post
Simplicity said:
I hope that picture is foreshadowing a later adventure... I'm not sure my players could handle it at level 1. And then you realize what's going on in the BACKGROUND.

So 1st level characters are not allowed to fight cool battles? i can easily think of ways to stat those things for level ones to fight them.

The worms are weak with hunger and just waking up from a death sleep. Huge with 8 HD, exhausted down to a 5 str [ +1 to hit / 2d6-3 ], barely enough dex to move and a con that leaves it with 20 or fewer Hp. [i'd bet on a CR 1 half orc barbarian]

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Stone Dog said:
So, basically it is easy enough to turn key players into mighty Daelkyri and use it as the basis for a "Second Coming of Xoriat" game set in Eberron?

There's supposed to be a sidebar written by Keith Baker for the adventure on how to use it in Eberron (as well as one by Eric Boyd for FR), but I think they ran out of room in the issue, so they'll offer it as a web enhancement, maybe...

eris404

Explorer
I can't wait to get this - I'm getting the shakes already. And I'm ready to start DM-ing a new campaign with the girls....this is gonna be fun. :D

Simplicity

Explorer
Alzrius said:
"Age of Worms" is the name the Flanaess gives to its apocalypse. It's in the same moniker as Ragnarok or the End of Days. We know that you'll eventually fight and kill Dragotha; that Kyuss is involved (maybe personally), and that in this first adventure, the Vaati (aka the Wind Dukes of Aaqa) have at least a background presence.

Harbidywhosadawhatta?

Sorry for not being a Greyhawk geek, but that was just too much info for my little brain to handle. Who are these various folks? The only thing I know about Kyuss is that he tends to spawn a lot.

Simplicity

Explorer
frankthedm said:
So 1st level characters are not allowed to fight cool battles? i can easily think of ways to stat those things for level ones to fight them.

Absolutely not. 1st level characters are restricted to fighting cellar rats and mediumly large vermin. Maybe a goblin or a kobold. Their treasure consists of copper dental fillings and torn flannel shirts. Finding other forms of treasure typically requires autopsies of their fallen enemies (Ah-ha! I knew that rat looked uncomfortable! He swallowed this rusty dagger!)

Size huge = instant disqualification for level oneness, mainly because they might have swallowed something that might actually be of value once they get to that size.

Macbeth

First Post
Simplicity said:
Absolutely not. 1st level characters are restricted to fighting cellar rats and mediumly large vermin. Maybe a goblin or a kobold. Their treasure consists of copper dental fillings and torn flannel shirts. Finding other forms of treasure typically requires autopsies of their fallen enemies (Ah-ha! I knew that rat looked uncomfortable! He swallowed this rusty dagger!)

Size huge = instant disqualification for level oneness, mainly because they might have swallowed something that might actually be of value once they get to that size.
Assuming this was ment in jest (which it seems to be) this gets my vote for post of the day. Now if only MMORPG designers would stop thinking like this.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Simplicity said:
Harbidywhosadawhatta?

Sorry for not being a Greyhawk geek, but that was just too much info for my little brain to handle. Who are these various folks? The only thing I know about Kyuss is that he tends to spawn a lot.

Heh, sorry about that. I don't consider myself a Greyhawk geek since I'm like that with most of the old published worlds, but sometimes I forget not everyone is as well-versed (though, to be fair, Erik Mona dropped a lot of classic names of people and places in the last Dungeon's editorial, and many of them I still haven't puzzled out).

Dragotha is an undead dragon (he's unique though, not a dracolich). Dragotha was a red dragon consort of Tiamat, but when he murdered another dragon who threatened his position, was killed on Tiamat's orders. However, an unknown death deity had previously made a deal with Dragotha, and brought him to unlife. He now lives in the northern Flanaess. He hasn't been seen in centuries though, because Keraptis of White Plume Mountain placed him into a quiescent state. Dragotha was first mentioned (very obliquely) in S2 White Plume Mountain, and later detailed in Dragon #134 ("Lords & Legends"). He was given a bit more of a mention (though still not much) in 2E's Return to White Plume Mountain, and updated in Dragotha's Lair.

Kyuss is a (Neutral Evil) Hero God (a status of deity lower than a demigod; divine rank 0, but able to grant spells and domains) of creation and mastery of the undead. The Sons (or Spawn, or Scions) of Kyuss are his most famous creation, though by no means the only ones he's invented. More about Kyuss can be found in the article "Blood of Heroes" in Living Greyhawk Journal #3.

The Vaati (aka the Wind Dukes of Aaqa) were the lawful foes that fought against the Queen of Chaos and her consort, Miska the Wolf-Spider. Their greatest creation was the Rod of Law, which was shattered when it banished the Wolf-Spider, and became known as the more famous Rod of Seven Parts. You can find more information about the Vaati in the Rod of Seven Parts boxed set, Dragon #224 ("The History of the Rod of Seven Parts"), 2E's Monstrous Compendium Annual vol. IV, or (with a slightly different background) in the Oriental Adventures web enhancement.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads