D&D General New Baldur's Gate III Teaser Trailer

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

The trailer ends with the statement "Join us on the road to Baldur's Gate Starting June 6" This date is the first date of the Guerrilla Collective Indie Game Showcase, taking place online from June 6-8. Larian Studios is a participant in the event and previously promised Baldur's Gate III news at the showcase. This statement lends further credence to industry speculation that the big announcement will be the date of early access, and it may hint that early access will start on June 6. But it looks like we still have another week before we know for sure.

bg3sizzle.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As someone who has been a big Realms fan since the original Gray Box, yes, there is a something of a Realms naming convention, but it's very, very broad (probably too broad to easily define within a few paragraphs), and there are many, many, MANY exceptions to it. Heck, a later poster even shows how major NPC names from the original BG games don't conform to it.

Baldur's Gate 1 also had, as more minor NPCs:
Noober
Lord Foreshadow
Larry, Darryl and Darryl
Bub Snikt
Biff the Understudy
Lord Binky the Buffoon

I'm not pretending. I just don't see it. But whatever, if you're not going to explain it, then fine.

Khalid = popular Arabic name
Edwin = popular English name
Minsc = the capital of Belarus with its last letter changed from a "k" to a "c"
Mazzy = real-world name with Hebrew origins
Keldorn = the name of a trucking company that existed long before BGII ever did

... shall I go on?

Given you're not making a rational argument, just Googling desperately for correlations, no. Calling "Edwin" a "popular English name" is some incredible stuff too.

jgsugden

Legend
@Ruin Explorer - Ball is in your court.

You've been asked to provide the details of this Forgotten Realms naming convention. You responded by complaining the request was not made in good faith, and that you were not going to continue the discussion … right before you went on for three more paragraphs, followed by two more posts in which you names that exhibit a lack of consistent naming conventions in the Realms by calling them exceptions, and describing Edwin as an English name as "incredible stuff" … Wikipedia: The name Edwin means "rich friend". It comes from the Old English elements "ead" (rich, blessed) and "wine" (friend).[1] The original Anglo-Saxon form is Eadwine, which is also found for Anglo-Saxon figures.

I don't trust Wikipedia for everything, but if I see something there, I generally don't assume it is "incredible stuff".

Where is this naming convention codified? What are the rules? Didn't Salvatore, the most prolific FR author, invent a wide variety of names for characters from many different races? Are not Greenwood's own original source materials rife with a wide variety of names? Nanfoodle, Fzoul Chembryl, Dove Falconhand, Manshoon, Flattery Wynerspur, Haephaestus, Jon Irenicus, Thibbledorf Pwent, Tristan Kendrick, Robyn, Balthazar, Dagnabbit, Danica Moupoissant, ... names are all over the place.

Oofta

Legend
@Ruin Explorer - Ball is in your court.

You've been asked to provide the details of this Forgotten Realms naming convention. You responded by complaining the request was not made in good faith, and that you were not going to continue the discussion … right before you went on for three more paragraphs, followed by two more posts in which you names that exhibit a lack of consistent naming conventions in the Realms by calling them exceptions, and describing Edwin as an English name as "incredible stuff" … Wikipedia: The name Edwin means "rich friend". It comes from the Old English elements "ead" (rich, blessed) and "wine" (friend).[1] The original Anglo-Saxon form is Eadwine, which is also found for Anglo-Saxon figures.

I don't trust Wikipedia for everything, but if I see something there, I generally don't assume it is "incredible stuff".

You can also check BehindTheName.com, a site I use for getting realistic names for my NPCs. It has the same source of Edwin as Wikipedia.

jgsugden

Legend
NB I suspect "Edwin" would be considered old fashioned and pretentious in 2020 England. A good name to have if you wanted to get beaten up behind the bike sheds.
Rude, much?

It is top 350 in name popularity - about 1 in 2000 boys have the name, apparently. So we probably have some people on this board that you just insulted.

Remove ads

Remove ads