• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Campaign world time

Davek

First Post
Greetings,

I am in the process of working on a new campaign idea. I have developed the major ideas and maps and started working the pantheon I will be using.

In the past I have always created worlds basically in a random fashion. Think of something neat, write it down, collecting all the scraps of paper in a binder. My memory is good, so I have been able to coordinate the information fairly well for my players.

This time I would like to formalize it somewhat more than usual so that I will be able to create a usable website for the new world.

What I am look for is a 'system' and or 'template' to formalize the documentation of this world.

Funny you should ask. There's been a lot of discussion about the Dungeoncraft articles that Ray Winninger wrote in Dragon starting about issue 255 or so. If you can get ahold of the articles, that's a great methodology for codifying campaign development without going overboard, developing too much and getting burned out before you even play.

I'm actually going through the methodology, developing my own setting, and explaining the methodology as I do it as a series of web articles, since you can't get them online anymore.

I'd recommend it to you, but I'm not far enough along yet.

Davek

First Post
I just noticed your thread right after posting mine :rolleyes:

What I am looking for is more something like a word template/doc that I can use to codify my ideas. I could take the time to develop my own template :D but I find that by looking at someone elses methods, it prompts me to expand my 'horizons'.

I will be following your progress anyways, I am sure there will be something to steal... I mean borrow.

apocalypstick

First Post
Davek said:

I could take the time to develop my own template :D but I find that by looking at someone elses methods, it prompts me to expand my 'horizons'.

Whereas I lift, liberally, from the work of others simply because I'm a lazy sod. :D If it helps, when I'm doing a writeup of political regions I use the following "template":

Area Name (common name)
Proper Name
Ruler and Proper Title
Government
Capital
Major Cities
Provinces
Resources
Imports
Exports
Coinage
Population
Languages
Popular Alignment
Gov't Alignment
Religions
Power Centers (secret orgs, etc.)
Allies
Enemies

Overview
Notable Geography
Current History
Ancient History
Secrets
Rumors

Most of this, you see, I lifted from the LG Gazetteer. Works for me, anyway.

(I think this may be the first "useful" post i've ever made. Wow.)

Remove ads