D&D 5E New Capenna is releasing for Magic the Gathering... will it join D&D too?

ChaosOS

Legend
What "Family" are you? I'm leaning towards mostly Riveteers with a touch of Caberatti (I want to build a Historic Brawl Enchantress deck).

BTW the fact that the Riveteers Union is black mana instead of white mana is very off, given Unions are all about Solidarity. I get the red (red means of doing things and rebellious towards the general hierarchy of the city) and Green (includes not just Industry, but farmers and landscapers), but how does black mana make sense?
Looking at the New Capenna cards with the Riveteers watermark and black mana identity, the black mana represents a brutality and viciousness to their fighting style - winning by whatever means necessary.

RE: D&D conversion; I don't expect one - Eberron and Ravnica have enough similarities, even if there are clearly differences. I expect Kamigawa to be announced at D&D Direct on Thursday, because the worldbuilding is far more unique out of the settings we have - there's not a single flavor of Asian-inspired fantasy for official 5e, AND futuristic/cyberpunk aesthetics are ALSO untouched in 5e (Eberron got a touch of them in like two art pieces, but Rising didn't lean hard into dragonmarked houses as cyberpunk corporations). I don't expect Dominaria because we already have kitchen sink fantasy for 5e - the Forgotten Realms - and I expect next year we're getting a return to the Forgotten Realms in a campaign setting book as our "one world we've seen before this edition".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Looking at the New Capenna cards with the Riveteers watermark and black mana identity, the black mana represents a brutality and viciousness to their fighting style - winning by whatever means necessary.

RE: D&D conversion; I don't expect one - Eberron and Ravnica have enough similarities, even if there are clearly differences. I expect Kamigawa to be announced at D&D Direct on Thursday, because the worldbuilding is far more unique out of the settings we have - there's not a single flavor of Asian-inspired fantasy for official 5e, AND futuristic/cyberpunk aesthetics are ALSO untouched in 5e (Eberron got a touch of them in like two art pieces, but Rising didn't lean hard into dragonmarked houses as cyberpunk corporations). I don't expect Dominaria because we already have kitchen sink fantasy for 5e - the Forgotten Realms - and I expect next year we're getting a return to the Forgotten Realms in a campaign setting book as our "one world we've seen before this edition".
The return is a 2024 project, in 2023 we are looking at another Classic Setting new to 5E. I actually think Dominaria is more likely than you may think, with the 30th anniversary celebration for Magic next year, but we will see. Kamigawa would he great.

Last edited:

Eberron certainly shares some traits with New Capenna, both inspired by noir pulp. I'd say Eberron is still firmly medieval noir punk however, and New Capenna is much more heavily influenced by 1920s gangster/detective noir.
The artwork for Eberron isn't 1920s, but then it isn't very medieval either. Like most D&D it's ahistorical. The idea that D&D is "medieval" is largely based on historical ignorance. It's easy enough to replace the GenericFantasyland cloaks with trench coats and fedoras in descriptions.

The Dragonmarked houses more closely resemble big corporations like the British East India Company (established 1600) than any medieval power structures. Maybe the Medici bank, founded 1397, but that is tied into the beginning of the renaissance.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The artwork for Eberron isn't 1920s, but then it isn't very medieval either. Like most D&D it's ahistorical. The idea that D&D is "medieval" is largely based on historical ignorance. It's easy enough to replace the GenericFantasyland cloaks with trench coats and fedoras in descriptions.

The Dragonmarked houses more closely resemble big corporations like the British East India Company (established 1600) than any medieval power structures. Maybe the Medici bank, founded 1397, but that is tied into the beginning of the renaissance.
I'd day the aesthetic is fairly 19th century Europe: trains, airships, corporate interests engaged in colonial activity over fabulously valuable resources...

I'd day the aesthetic is fairly 19th century Europe: trains, airships, corporate interests engaged in colonial activity over fabulously valuable resources...
The technology, yes, but player characters are still depicted with capes and ridiculous armour.

Cloaks are interesting, because they are pretty ubiquitous in D&D, but they are the most low tech protection against bad weather imaginable, going back at least to the bronze age, if not the Neolithic. If you have the technology to manufacture a locomotive, even one powered by magic, you would imagine you also have the technology to make a better coat!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The technology, yes, but player characters are still depicted with capes and ridiculous armour.

Cloaks are interesting, because they are pretty ubiquitous in D&D, but they are the most low tech protection against bad weather imaginable, going back at least to the bronze age, if not the Neolithic. If you have the technology to manufacture a locomotive, even one powered by magic, you would imagine you also have the technology to make a better coat!
That's true: a lot of buckles, too.

Remove ads