WotC New Card from "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms" Leaked: "Den of the Bugbear"

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Do you think AFR will be included in this mtg book?
Pretty certainly not, since AFR is hermetically sealed from the Magic ploy, and this art book us a Magic plot primer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That card is so cool... the art is on point, the framing is on point, the language is on point.... the one thing that is off is the level 17-20 is way too high for a fight with bugbears, but I forgive this!
It's off-point to thw degree that it feels like a joke to Troll the fans.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That card is so cool... the art is on point, the framing is on point, the language is on point.... the one thing that is off is the level 17-20 is way too high for a fight with bugbears, but I forgive this!

aha! Unless its a teaser for a 4e-like treatment of low-level threats to create new Bugbears that cover CR 12 to CR 23! :p

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Can someone go ahead and make me this module? ;)

This "module" is listed as part of the R series (source wikipedia).

R—Role Playing Game Association tournament modules, R1–6 were also available to RPGA members. R1–4 were later revised and abridged as I12. Mentzer initially intended the "R" series to take place in Greyhawk (on a different continent from Oerik) as part of an "Acquaria" or "Aqua-Oeridian" campaign. The original concept was to use these modules to form the basis of a new Greyhawk boxed set, although TSR never went forward with these plans and as such the modules are not officially for Greyhawk.

The series ends at R10 (so we're missing R11, someone make that too!) but this module could be a sequel to R5;

1624473181957.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Can someone go ahead and make me this module? ;)

This "module" is listed as part of the R series (source wikipedia).

R—Role Playing Game Association tournament modules, R1–6 were also available to RPGA members. R1–4 were later revised and abridged as I12. Mentzer initially intended the "R" series to take place in Greyhawk (on a different continent from Oerik) as part of an "Acquaria" or "Aqua-Oeridian" campaign. The original concept was to use these modules to form the basis of a new Greyhawk boxed set, although TSR never went forward with these plans and as such the modules are not officially for Greyhawk.

The series ends at R10 (so we're missing R11, someone make that too!) but this module could be a sequel to R5;

View attachment 138667
I'm going to go out on a limb, and suppose that this might be R for "Rare," and we'll see a whole cycle on the Set

I wonder if it's possible that "leveling up" your cards is a new mechanic in this set?

Many of the recent D&D-themed non-RPG games have tried to implement some sort of leveling up mechanic. Off the top of my head, the D&D Adventure System board games, Dragonfire, and Dice Masters all have done this. It seems like the kind of thing that attracts designers trying to give a "D&D feel" to a completely non-D&D game. (Of these, Dice Masters would be the closest analogue to the situation here with MTG, inasmuch as that's a preexisting collectible game into which the designers introduced a D&D theme for certain sets only; it was also co-designed by a former MTG designer, FWIW.)

If that's right, then "for Character Levels 17–20" might not just be meaningless flavor text; it could actually have in-game effects

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm going to go out on a limb, and suppose that this might be R for "Rare," and we'll see a whole cycle on the Set

Yeah I don't think too much thought went into choosing R12 (beyond maybe making sure they didn't use one that actually exists).

I dig the art though and want more cards like this. Hell, make all the cards like this!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I don't think too much thought went into choosing R12 (beyond maybe making sure they didn't use one that actually exists).

I dig the art though and want more cards like this. Hell, make all the cards like this!
Usually I'm not swayed by the bling cards...but this might be an exception.

Remove ads