WotC New Card from "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms" Leaked: "Den of the Bugbear"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I wonder if it's possible that "leveling up" your cards is a new mechanic in this set?
Level up is already a mechanic in MtG.
1624474360336.jpeg
Wouldn’t be too surprised to see it return here though.
If that's right, then "for Character Levels 17–20" might not just be meaningless flavor text; it could actually have in-game effects
Eh, if that were the case, this card would have a ton of necessary information not printed on the card, which is something WotC tries to avoid if they can help it, except in the case of certain premium prints.

Level up is already a mechanic in MtG.
Wouldn’t be too surprised to see it return here though.

Eh, if that were the case, this card would have a ton of necessary information not printed on the card, which is something WotC tries to avoid if they can help it, except in the case of certain premium prints.
Ah—thanks for the info. I'm not an MTG player—this set will be my first time ever buying MTG cards. There's a lot to learn.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not printed on the card," though—do you mean the text "levels 17–20" doesn't count as printed on the card because it's outside the usual text box, in the "art" area?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah—thanks for the info. I'm not an MTG player—this set will be my first time ever buying MTG cards. There's a lot to learn.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not printed on the card," though—do you mean the text "levels 17–20" doesn't count as printed on the card because it's outside the usual text box, in the "art" area?
Yea, exactly: WotC is pretty meticulous about making sure that everything actually related to the card in play is explained in the rules text box explicitly.

Scribe

Legend
Yea, exactly: WotC is pretty meticulous about making sure that everything actually related to the card in play is explained in the rules text box explicitly.
Pretty meticulous would be an understatement. :)

I wonder if this is more a play on the players starting life, 20.

Charlaquin

No, I mean if we assume that “an adventure for character levels 17-20” is rules text, it doesn’t give enough information. What is an “adventure” and how is it relevant that this one is “for character levels 17-20”? What is a character, and how is one of levels 17-20 meant to interact with this card? The card itself doesn’t say. Which isn’t unheard of, especially on premium versions of cards, but it’s unusual. Note how the Hexdrinker card I posted a picture of includes reminder text explaining what “Level up (1)” means.

Charlaquin

Which R? The bottom left is rarity.
I believe we’re talking about the R in “Dungeon Module R12,” which I very much doubt is rules text. I suppose it’s possible they picked that letter because the card is rare and/or because it produces red mana, but if so I’m sure it’s just a designer in-joke.

Last edited:

Remove ads