D&D (2024) New Classes for 5e. Is anything missing?

Is there a good case for additional class for the base experience of 5th edition D&D

• Yes. Bring on the new classes!

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Yes. There are maybe few classes missing in the shared experience of D&D in this edition

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Yes, but it's really only one class that is really missing

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Depends. Multiclass/Feats/Alternates covers most of it. But new classes needed if banned

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Depends. It depends on the mechanical importance at the table

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, but new classes might be needed for specific settings or genres

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • No, but a few more subclasses might be needed to cover the holes

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • No, 5th edition covers all of the base experience with its roster of classes.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No. And with some minor adjustments, a few classes could be combined.

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Hexblade already feels like it's own class, it just needs a bit of tweaking to really work.

The real quetion is do you port over the Patron concept wholesale or change the sublcass concepts to something a bit broader?
I have never gotten why a sapient magic weapon class is an idea as it seems so dumb, Does anyone know why it is a thing?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like the idea of a super powered but not Spellcasting warrior class, but it also feels like maybe a set of barbarians that re-conceptualize the Rage mechanic.

I thought the same at first. However barbarian subclasses don't do anything for you when you aren't raging. So you'd have none of your dragon blood while in normal mode outside of narrow niche stuff.

See the Path of Wild Magic. Does anyone like that subclass. I haven't see love for it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I thought the same at first. However barbarian subclasses don't do anything for you when you aren't raging. So you'd have none of your dragon blood while in normal mode outside of narrow niche stuff.

See the Path of Wild Magic. Does anyone like that subclass. I haven't see love for it.
I've seen quite a lot of love for it. But it's not true that no barbarian subclasses do anything outside of raging. The Totem Warrior gets magic rituals, for instance. Certainly no reason a new subclass couldn't provide more subtle power outside of rage, and just make those features more potent while Raging.

Besides which, I wouldn't want the concept to just be "a dragon guy" all the time. A transformation is exactly the hook I'd be looking for in a presentation of the concept, even if it were a class.

Scribe

Legend
Here's a Question

D&D carves out the explanation for a lot of spellcasters. Are the warrior versions of the other casters missing?

CasterWarrior
BardBardThe Bard is the warrior version of itself
ClericPaladinThe Paladin and Cleric both use divine magic
DruidRangerAlthough not one to one, the Ranger uses nature magic and a lite magic from unknown sources
Sorcerer????What happens when a PCs bloodline, racial traits, or origin doesn't manifest as spellcasting?
Warlock????Can patrons give PCs something other than magic?
WizardGish

If you great great great grandfather was a dragon, why must his bloodline show up in you as pew pew powers?

Sorcerer = Scaled Fist, or Bloodrager from PF1.
Warlock = Hmm...I cant think of anything really, but I dont like how Warlocks are fluffed in 5e anyway.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I've seen quite a lot of love for it. But it's not true that no barbarian subclasses do anything outside of raging. The Totem Warrior gets magic rituals, for instance. Certainly no reason a new subclass couldn't provide more subtle power outside of rage, and just make those features more potent while Raging.

Besides which, I wouldn't want the concept to just be "a dragon guy" all the time. A transformation is exactly the hook I'd be looking for in a presentation of the concept, even if it were a class.
I feel like expending rage uses on other features (like newer druid subclasses do with wildshape) would be a good mechanical hook to explore for barbarians. The general problem with barbarians is a lot like rogue, the core class kit is strong enough that there isn't a lot of power budget for transformational subclass features.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I feel like expending rage uses on other features (like newer druid subclasses do with wildshape) would be a good mechanical hook to explore for barbarians. The general problem with barbarians is a lot like rogue, the core class kit is strong enough that there isn't a lot of power budget for transformational subclass features.
I could see going that way. In general I see no reason that you couldn't do "when you rage, you increase in size and turn green, and gain a damage bonus every time you take damage" or more seriously, "while raging your wings double in size, and you gain a fly speed equal to your speed. Additionally, your draconic breath recharges, if you have already used it, and it deals more damage than while not raging. Finally, at level X, you gain an aura of draconic majesty while raging, and your allies are heartened while your enemies tremble in fear."

then it should be an item you can get not a class.
That means playing the character you want to play is entirely up to the dm deciding to let you, at some point, which is generally not something done in rpgs.

Are there any other classes that have their core concept not a class feature? Like, a wizard that doesn't get any spells except what they find during adventures? Barbarians that can't rage until they have a traumatic moment during play?

Remove ads