D&D 5E New D&D Basic Rules DM v0.2 and Cantrip Scrolls

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Page 60 gives some new rules for scrolls.
  1. If the scroll spell is not on your class spell list, the scroll list.
  2. There are Cantrip scrolls
  3. Wizards can copy scroll spells into their spellbooks
Therefore, it seems wizards might be able to learn new cantrips from scrolls.

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I though about this during the playtest. Why wouldn't every wizard know every cantrip?

Based on the final rules, I'm not sure it's a problem. Cantrips aren't written down in the spellbook, they're just permanently memorized. So maybe a cantrip is a magical talent you can just do, that you can't learn by reading it off a page.

Rune

Once A Fool
I though about this during the playtest. Why wouldn't every wizard know every cantrip?

Based on the final rules, I'm not sure it's a problem. Cantrips aren't written down in the spellbook, they're just permanently memorized. So maybe a cantrip is a magical talent you can just do, that you can't learn by reading it off a page.

Since you mention it, I wonder if it would unbalance things if cantrips could be added to the spellbook and, further, if wizards could prepare extra cantrips by using spell preparation slots.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Personally I think cantrip scrolls are enough, that allows a wizard or whoever to use cantrips they dont know. I would not also allow them to learn further cantrips by copying them into the book. There should be some opportunity cost to selecting cantrips. I think it would be too good to have all of them. At the moment, you have to make some hard choices with cantrips sometimes. They each have a niche use or combat option. Casters already have excellent utility. They dont need anymore.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I'd allow a wizard to learn any cantrip as a 1st-level spell if they really wanted. At low levels this is an inefficient use of spell slots but might have some edge cases for utility cantrips. At high levels a damaging cantrip may be a better use of a 1st-level slot than magic missile but that's probably not a big deal (and may be balanced by the need for an attack roll).

Joe Liker

First Post
I might let a wizard swap out a cantrip by learning a new one from a scroll (and forgetting an old one), but the wizard progression table very clearly defines how many cantrips a wizard can know. This is not a gray area.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Cantrips are spells that have been burned into your brain through repeated use. It would stand to reason that one does not have time to burn every cantrip into their brain.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Sounds like an area for a good feat.

Cantrip Master

Your primary spellcasting ability score increases by 1. This cannot make the score exceed 20.

You may learn an additional cantrip from your spell list.

You no longer need to use material components for cantrips you cast. You must still use a focus if one is required.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Sounds like an area for a good feat.

Cantrip Master

Your primary spellcasting ability score increases by 1. This cannot make the score exceed 20.

You may learn an additional cantrip from your spell list.

You no longer need to use material components for cantrips you cast. You must still use a focus if one is required.

Not needing components is such a trivial ability, I would just remove that part and add two cantrips.

Remove ads