D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

ccs

41st lv DM
I expect they will do both.

I doubt we will see any "regular" elves, for the same reason we won't see dwarves, halfings or orcs. And that's not for legal reasons, which have long been resolved, but simply because they want to dodge accusations of being a Lord of the Rings rip off (which it will be).

Do you also doubt that the Earth is round?

ccs

41st lv DM
The solution for the trouble about drows is easy. One of the drows is a follower of Eilistraee and helps the main characters for a moment of the story.

NOBODY outside D&D players (and even a very large portion of them) will have ANY clue about Eilistraee. Or give a kobolds crap.
All they'd see at best is not-evil? Drow helping main characters.

It'd in no way appease the morons who can't handle even essentially alien bad guys being black.

I have just uncovered the leaked script.

A young farm boy is sent on a quest to destroy the Eye of Vecna by disguised gold dragon Bob (Gan-Dalf) Conniby, which teaches him the way of the Eldritch Knights. Along his journey he is aided by gnome artificer Ratchet Rockson, the lethal tiefling assassin Jammorba, and literal minded dragonborn warrior Dracks. He is opposed by the devious but charming dark elf Jarlaxle and his band of mercenaries.

Hussar

Legend
NOBODY outside D&D players (and even a very large portion of them) will have ANY clue about Eilistraee. Or give a kobolds crap.

It'd in no way appease the morons who can't handle even essentially alien bad guys being black.

Umm, there's considerably more to it than that. And, simply brushing off concerns and calling them "morons" isn't really going to win you any points.

But, let's look at it. You have a race where the men hating women in BDSM gear run around being evil, enslaving men, and worshipping a freaking black widow spider. I mean, can it be any more on the nose? Yeah, feminists are evil. We get it.

Add to that the whole "entire black race is evil while EVERY OTHER GOOD RACE is white" and you can kinda see where that might be problematic. Thirty years of D&D art and not a whole lot of PoC depicted.

Ulfgeir

Hero

And on the other end of the spectrum you have the morons who can't handle a literally alien good guy being black in a Marvel movie. So damned if you do, and damned if you don't, but yes unless done extremely well, there will be lots of loudmouthed people who will be upset about it. Yes, people are morons.

Personally I am more worried that we will get something that looks really weird, like Starfire in the Titans-show (if they even get the budget for that). I also fear the inclusion of moronic comedic relief-characters that will single-handedly destroy the movie.

Ulfgeir

Hero
But, let's look at it. You have a race where the men hating women in BDSM gear run around being evil, enslaving men, and worshipping a freaking black widow spider. I mean, can it be any more on the nose? Yeah, feminists are evil. We get it.

Add to that the whole "entire black race is evil while EVERY OTHER GOOD RACE is white" and you can kinda see where that might be problematic. Thirty years of D&D art and not a whole lot of PoC depicted.

This is the most likely way it will be viewed, sadly.

Remove ads