D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Undrave

Legend
I also fear the inclusion of moronic comedic relief-characters that will single-handedly destroy the movie.

But everybody loves Boblin!

Honestly, my fear is that the movie takes itself TOO seriously and gets so far up its own lore's ass that the movie is filled with PONDEROUS exposition about SERIOUS BUSINESS dealings of gods nobody cares about and bores the audience.

A D&D movie SHOULD be closer to Guardians of the Galaxy and less Lord of the Rings. It's a weird world with tons of weird races and weird monsters (They MUST include a Mimic and an Owlbear!) with murder hobo naughty words going on a quest and cracking jokes at each other's expense. If there was an in-universe way to quote Monty Python's Holy Grail it should even be in there...

Any of you ever watched the two The Hero Yoshihiko TV series? It's a low budget (official) hommage to Dragon Quest but it's a hilarious inspiration for this sort of nonsense.

Playing D&D is a load of fun... the movie should be too.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But everybody loves Boblin!

Honestly, my fear is that the movie takes itself TOO seriously and gets so far up its own lore's ass that the movie is filled with PONDEROUS exposition about SERIOUS BUSINESS dealings of gods nobody cares about and bores the audience.

A D&D movie SHOULD be closer to Guardians of the Galaxy and less Lord of the Rings. It's a weird world with tons of weird races and weird monsters (They MUST include a Mimic and an Owlbear!) with murder hobo naughty words going on a quest and cracking jokes at each other's expense. If there was an in-universe way to quote Monty Python's Holy Grail it should even be in there...

Any of you ever watched the two The Hero Yoshihiko TV series? It's a low budget (official) hommage to Dragon Quest but it's a hilarious inspiration for this sort of nonsense.

Playing D&D is a load of fun... the movie should be too.
I would view the sort of movie you seem to describe as utter garbage.

Because DnD isn’t a bunch of murder hobo naughty words for most the players I’ve ever met, and because no one cares what dnd is actually like.

If the movie tries to be a faithful representation of what dnd is, regardless of basic viewpoint on what dnd even is, it will a garbage movie.

They need to exclusively consider making a good movie in a dnd world, using dnd themes and characters. That’s it.

Undrave

Legend
I would view the sort of movie you seem to describe as utter garbage.

Because DnD isn’t a bunch of murder hobo naughty words for most the players I’ve ever met, and because no one cares what dnd is actually like.

If the movie tries to be a faithful representation of what dnd is, regardless of basic viewpoint on what dnd even is, it will a garbage movie.

They need to exclusively consider making a good movie in a dnd world, using dnd themes and characters. That’s it.

All I'm saying is, the heroes shouldn't all be pure noble exemplar. Ideally they would start with a very obvious tropes, not really trusting each other, but as the adventure progress they reveal more of their inner depth, they bicker, there's an naughty word or two, but they keep going, they develop in-jokes, trust and bonds are forged and end the journey as friends. Ya know, like Guardians of the Galaxy, except you give them a straight man like a Paladin or Knight.

But it's also like starting a game with strangers: At the start your character is trophy and has mostly a funny accent, but as the story goes you develop them more while you get to know your fellow players.

If the movie is TOO pretentious it'll be boring, like... ever seen Digimon Adventure Tri? Gah that was unbearably pretentious.

General audience aren't gonna care about lore if the characters aren't fun to see interact and D&D is all about the social aspect of the game.

doctorbadwolf

All I'm saying is, the heroes shouldn't all be pure noble exemplar. Ideally they would start with a very obvious tropes, not really trusting each other, but as the adventure progress they reveal more of their inner depth, they bicker, there's an naughty word or two, but they keep going, they develop in-jokes, trust and bonds are forged and end the journey as friends. Ya know, like Guardians of the Galaxy, except you give them a straight man like a Paladin or Knight.

But it's also like starting a game with strangers: At the start your character is trophy and has mostly a funny accent, but as the story goes you develop them more while you get to know your fellow players.

If the movie is TOO pretentious it'll be boring, like... ever seen Digimon Adventure Tri? Gah that was unbearably pretentious.

General audience aren't gonna care about lore if the characters aren't fun to see interact and D&D is all about the social aspect of the game.
I’m fine with GoTG style dnd movies. I’m also fine with something a little less on the “these naughty words are gonna save the day? Really?!” End of things, because that gets old and is quite easy to screw up.

Undrave

Legend
I’m fine with GoTG style dnd movies. I’m also fine with something a little less on the “these naughty words are gonna save the day? Really?!” End of things, because that gets old and is quite easy to screw up.

Okay yeah fair. Personality clashes are the important part, but they don't need to ALL be naughty words. You just need a Belkar, a Rattrap, a Rockey Raccoon in there.

doctorbadwolf

Okay yeah fair. Personality clashes are the important part, but they don't need to ALL be naughty words. You just need a Belkar, a Rattrap, a Rockey Raccoon in there.
A Flint Fireforge and a Raistlin Majere? (I really wish Joe had gotten his way on a DL movie)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, I have no horse in this race. I really don't care, frankly. But, the concerns that people could have aren't being pulled out of thin air and aren't "moronic". These are real concerns and it's very counter productive not to address these concerns.

They are not moronic, but they also aren't concerns that couldn't raised for any movie that might get made.

Guess what? Whenever you make a fiction, there's a thousand different ways that it might be bad, or be taken the badly. You cannot address every single concern everyone can ever voice - if for no other reason than some of them are mutually exclusive, nor can you stop trying to make new stories just because they may not be perfect, block-busters.

The truth is you could do it in lots of different ways, and it would reflect the way D&D is played at some tables. At one table you might find noble heroes, the next a amoral thieves, and the next comic A-holes.

And it doesn't matter what approach you take with a movie, it could still turn out great, and it could still stink like a rotten aboleth.

Remove ads