D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I think they could get around it if they cast non-whites for the regular Elves AND Drow.

They could get around it by not using drow too, just avoid the whole prickly issue. Especially in their first outing of a new round of movies, it just seems like it would be too dicey to chance messing up on something like this. There are plenty of evil and villains in D&D lore that aren't wholly evil and dark skinned...

Undrave

Legend
They could get around it by not using drow too, just avoid the whole prickly issue. Especially in their first outing of a new round of movies, it just seems like it would be too dicey to chance messing up on something like this. There are plenty of evil and villains in D&D lore that aren't wholly evil and dark skinned...

Yeah, if you got Vecna, focus on undead villains and keep Lolth for later...

ccs

41st lv DM
Beside the "All the dark skin guys are EEEEVIL" there's also the fact that to portray the Drow you'd probably end up with white guys covered in BLACK make up... that's kinda awkward...

What? You don't think they'd just CGI a Drow over top of a guy in a motion capture suit?

The solution for the trouble about drows is easy. One of the drows is a follower of Eilistraee and helps the main characters for a moment of the story.

But we know MCu and Earth 616 are different universes, but in D&D there isn't concept of parallel universes but they recover the chronomancers from 2nd Edition. And then this could change all, maybe too much. For example imagine WotC publishes in April 1st a crossover between Transformers and Kaladesh (world of magic the gathering with magictek vehicles).

* Today the FXs allow awesome making-up of characters, for example to change the age and become older or younger. Today there is a mobile app where your face is changed to look a preteen child.

And drows are blacksking but their facial traits, more angulous, are too different to real Blackafricans, said with maximum respect.

They could cast non-white guys for the roles OR paint the Drow Purple or Grey instead of Black
I expect they will do both.
I think they could get around it if they cast non-whites for the regular Elves AND Drow.
I doubt we will see any "regular" elves, for the same reason we won't see dwarves, halfings or orcs. And that's not for legal reasons, which have long been resolved, but simply because they want to dodge accusations of being a Lord of the Rings rip off (which it will be).

Remove ads