D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

How most of the world thinks of elves:
DSC_3393.jpg
The size of the doll precludes anyone thinking they are human.

???????
Are you saying that humans cant tell the difference betwixt real racial mockery and something that has nothing to do with racism and that not all human's distress about percieved racism is equally justified?

A few years back, DC Comics did a cross over event called Flashpoint that altered the history of the DCU. One of these changes had the villain Grodd ruling over an entire continent. A house ad for the event had a world map that included the label "Gorilla controlled Africa".

I knew the context, so thought nothing of it, but it sent a certain segment of the readership into full bore problematic panic. This is the world we live in.

A few years back, DC Comics did a cross over event called Flashpoint that altered the history of the DCU. One of these changes had the villain Grodd ruling over an entire continent. A house ad for the event had a world map that included the label "Gorilla controlled Africa".

I knew the context, so thought nothing of it, but it sent a certain segment of the readership into full bore problematic panic. This is the world we live in.
Thats a world that needs fixing.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Thats a world that needs fixing.

If you really think a D&D movie is the first step of "fixing the world," I got some bad news for you...

Just curious, I get that Drow are supposed to be based on Norse mythology... but has anyone done analysis on why medieval Norse associated dark-skinned elves with evil?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
If you really think a D&D movie is the first step of "fixing the world," I got some bad news for you...

Just curious, I get that Drow are supposed to be based on Norse mythology... but has anyone done analysis on why medieval Norse associated dark-skinned elves with evil?
I think they are remnants of the unseelie court. And the association of the word dark in mythologies as being evil.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It has little to do with intelligence and more to do with ignorance. Western mythology is barely taught (if at all) in most of the world. Even in western countries there are hundreds of millions of people who are ignorant of the mythology. Heck, in the USA mythology is not a required class and I would bet 2/3 or more of the population would have no idea what your talking about. Your lucky if they know the greek gods. You can't expect someone to know what your talking about if they never been taught.
Also the drow are not recognizably the “dark elf” of European myth.

Origins only matter if the new thing is recognizable as the old thing.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Also the drow are not recognizably the “dark elf” of European myth.

Origins only matter if the new thing is recognizable as the old thing.
Do they have to be? They are based on them and influenced by them. I don’t see why Gygax (or whoever created them in d&d) had to create a complete replica of them. After all most mythologies are very conflicting from one place to another. I like the way they were originally represented. And that is being legendary. Not commonly known to exist. Very evil and resistant magic with cool innate abilities and badass chain mail and weapons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Do they have to be? They are based on them and influenced by them. I don’t see why Gygax (or whoever created them in d&d) had to create a complete replica of them. After all most mythologies are very conflicting from one place to another. I like the way they were originally represented. And that is being legendary. Not commonly known to exist. Very evil and resistant magic with cool innate abilities and badass chain mail and weapons.
I don’t care, honestly. I don’t care about tradition, or dnd races being faithful to their origins, or anything like any of that.

I am pointing out that drow have very little to do with mythological dark elves, and vanishingly few people are going to say “oh, these black face caricatures of evil matriarchy are just the svart alfar! No big deal!”

That won’t happen, is all I’m saying. The connection, even for most people who realize it exists, won’t matter.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I don’t care, honestly. I don’t care about tradition, or dnd races being faithful to their origins, or anything like any of that.

I am pointing out that drow have very little to do with mythological dark elves, and vanishingly few people are going to say “oh, these black face caricatures of evil matriarchy are just the svart alfar! No big deal!”

That won’t happen, is all I’m saying. The connection, even for most people who realize it exists, won’t matter.
I never really assumed they were anything more than just evil elves. Yeah a slight connection to the unseelie court or another mythology here and there. But they did a really good job of striking fear before they made it a class that every Tom, Dick, and Harry played.

Remove ads