D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Yes, precisely. Mike Mearls talked about how he would want to approach Greyhawk in future products (a few weeks before they let GoS out if the bag, but we're teasing it), and basically it boils down to reboot to the Gygax material and keep it there, no more metaplot:

I actually quite like this approach, it allows old players to see the essentials of a setting they loved, and new players to see the setting as it was originally meant to be.

Everyone can be happy, as it's just the original Greyhawk setting.

Aaron L

Hero
Given Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and a few other hints we've been getting, don't write off Greyhawk just yet. Having Vecna elements show up in the movie would be good for Greyhawk, honestly.
One can certainly hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Realms as well as Greyhawk. I just think that if WotC really wants to keep mixing and matching elements from campaign worlds they really should just reintroduce Spelljammer or something to reconnect all the worlds, and if they want to include an element from the Flanaess in an adventure in Faerûn then they should acknowledge where the element came from and tell how it got there.

A simple Spelljammer book and there you go, your adventurers from Waterdeep and the Dales can go off on an adventure to Castle Greyhawk by first having an adventure traveling through the Phlogiston between Crystal Spheres, and fending off a raid by Gith pirates. It would not only allow for such connections, it would introduce new elements to enrich the adventures.

They could even hearken back to the original ideas of the Forgotten Realms with long-lost hidden Gate networks connecting the 'Realms to Earth, which Ed Greenwood imagined allowed for tales of mythological creatures to filter from Toril to ancient Earth, not to mention allowing the ancestors of the Mulan humans of Toril to travel there from Ancient Egypt. After all, Elminster needs an easy way to get to Canada so as to meet up at Ed's house with Mordenkainen and Dalamar to swap spells and eat pizza! ;)

(As far as my home games are concerned it doesn't matter, as in any campaign I have ever run, set in any world, I have always maintained the idea that all the worlds still retain the existing connections that they had in 2nd Edition through Spelljammer, even if no characters are aware of Spelljamming ships, or even if they will never ever encounter one... all the other worlds are all still out there, including Earth. It's just too useful and wondrous a concept to get rid of!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One can certainly hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Realms as well as Greyhawk. I just think that if WotC really wants to keep mixing and matching elements from campaign worlds they really should just reintroduce Spelljammer or something to reconnect all the worlds, and if they want to include an element from the Flanaess in an adventure in Faerûn then they should acknowledge where the element came from and tell how it got there.

A simple Spelljammer book and there you go, your adventurers from Waterdeep and the Dales can go off on an adventure to Castle Greyhawk by first having an adventure traveling through the Phlogiston between Crystal Spheres, and fending off a raid by Gith pirates. It would not only allow for such connections, it would introduce new elements to enrich the adventures.

They could even hearken back to the original ideas of the Forgotten Realms with long-lost hidden Gate networks connecting the 'Realms to Earth, which Ed Greenwood imagined allowed for tales of mythological creatures to filter from Toril to ancient Earth, not to mention allowing the ancestors of the Mulan humans of Toril to travel there from Ancient Egypt. After all, Elminster needs an easy way to get to Canada so as to meet up at Ed's house with Mordenkainen and Dalamar to swap spells and eat pizza! ;)

(As far as my home games are concerned it doesn't matter, as in any campaign I have ever run, set in any world, I have always maintained the idea that all the worlds still retain the existing connections that they had in 2nd Edition through Spelljammer, even if no characters are aware of Spelljamming ships, or even if they will never ever encounter one... all the other worlds are all still out there, including Earth. It's just too useful and wondrous a concept to get rid of!)

There is none of that I would say WotC isn't willing to do.

Henry

Autoexreginated
With the Critical Role animated series and other merchandise coming, and the D&D movie being developed, maybe we can see the seed of a ”fantasy movie” trend that could supplement the Comic Book Superhero trend - but then I’m cautiously optimistic, because we saw this in the early 2000s with the Rings Trilogy, but it died shortly after LotR wrapped and my hopes were smacked around like a “Mommie Dearest” marathon...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases