D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Honestly, I'm thinking if there are drow they'll just be blue. Not unprecedented, as Acq Inc. will tell you.

1575050973012.png

ccooke

Adventurer
You know, Vecna as a main villain really isn't a bad concept. His name is memorable, he's definitely a reasonable choice for a powerful enemy who needs to be stopped. The whole 'Evil undead mastermind' trope is a comfortable fit for this sort of film.

What's more, you have the Eye of Vecna, a classic bit of old-school body horror and a magnet for anyone greedy for power. Of course they're going to have someone use it.

I'm sure it will provide a ... spectacle, at least.

Hussar

Legend
They are not moronic, but they also aren't concerns that couldn't raised for any movie that might get made.

Guess what? Whenever you make a fiction, there's a thousand different ways that it might be bad, or be taken the badly. You cannot address every single concern everyone can ever voice - if for no other reason than some of them are mutually exclusive, nor can you stop trying to make new stories just because they may not be perfect, block-busters.

Oh, sure. Totally agree. But, again, it's not like the issues with Drow are subtle or require really sideways views in order to get offended.

Like I said, if you're going to have evil, beautiful (since drow women are always depicted as hot) matriarchs that hate men, worship a black widow spider demon, and then enslave men, I'm thinking that it's not too hard to see the message here. It's right freaking there. In big, bright, neon letters. Add to that the fact that they are all elves in blackface, and well, it's not exactly a stretch to see where this might be problematic.

Thor got away with it because, while the dark elves were, well, dark, there are no "light elves" in the movie to contrast with. You don't get the "light=good" thing going. And, most people can make the connection between dark elves and fairy tales. Not a big issue. But, had they used D&D drow in Thor, I think there would be a much larger negative reaction. Maybe not. Maybe I'm worried about nothing.

But, surely you can see why this might be an issue.

Oh, sure. Totally agree. But, again, it's not like the issues with Drow are subtle or require really sideways views in order to get offended.

Like I said, if you're going to have evil, beautiful (since drow women are always depicted as hot) matriarchs that hate men, worship a black widow spider demon, and then enslave men, I'm thinking that it's not too hard to see the message here. It's right freaking there. In big, bright, neon letters. Add to that the fact that they are all elves in blackface, and well, it's not exactly a stretch to see where this might be problematic.

Thor got away with it because, while the dark elves were, well, dark, there are no "light elves" in the movie to contrast with. You don't get the "light=good" thing going. And, most people can make the connection between dark elves and fairy tales. Not a big issue. But, had they used D&D drow in Thor, I think there would be a much larger negative reaction. Maybe not. Maybe I'm worried about nothing.

But, surely you can see why this might be an issue.

And you solve your own problem: Just don't have any non-drow elves in the movie. The "elf" role can easily be done with a half elf, who can be any race, or make "Raven Hightower" (obviously a code name for Drizzt) be a drow too (they didn't specify a race in the description). Dri….I mean "Raven" can give the old "most X [in this case Drow] aren't really evil, just their leaders" stump speech. It's a Hasbro movie, so they are going to make changes anyway, so why not this? By 6e, if the movie does well, drow will be nonevil (except for the priestess of Lolth, assassin of Lolth, slaver of Lolth, parking meter maid of Lolth, ect. in the 6e monster manual)

And you solve your own problem: Just don't have any non-drow elves in the movie.
That is certainly one thing they can do, and there is nothing to suggest there are any surface elves in the movie. D&D does not need an "elf role" party member. I can think of plenty of games in which elves and half elves have never appeared, either as PCs or NPCs. They are supposed to be rare and reclusive, and the world is human dominated.

But that is not all Thor does -

* it's dark elves are grey, not blackface, and many wear whiteface masks (which saved time and money on makeup!);

* The main elves are played by a mixture of white and non-white actors - not a coincidence I'm sure;

* They are ruled by an evil male, not an evil female (in fact I don't think there are any female dark elves in the movie).

I wasn't entirely joking when I suggested Jarlaxle - a male dark elf - as the main villain(??). Gender aside, it is a great part, well written and well acted, potentially movie-stealing and career-making.

Having said that, Michelle Yeoh would make a great Matron Mother.

Remove ads