• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

Klaus

First Post
I like this packet a lot.

The Fighter's Expertise Dice (and the ability to regain them during a fight) are a nice way of giving combat a rhythm beyond "attack!attack!attack!attack!". The fighter starts with 2d6, meaning that in a five-round fight he can attack normally once, do special stunts twice, spend a round moving, and do a special stunt again. And with the increase in number, the need for a breather gets smaller and smaller, to the point where the Fighter will be able to do his stunts without a problem.

The Druid is shaping up well, but it could use some variety in the shape list, and possibly the ability to build a themed shape druid (all felines, or all insects/arachnids, etc).

Making the Warden a subclass of Paladin was a stroke of genius. There was talk in these boards of making it a barbarian build, but it works much better as a "druidic knight". The mount does come in a little late, though.

The Ranger really feels like a great "hunter" class, avoiding surprise and finding invisible foes with ease. They seem effective in combat without stealing the Fighter's "best with a bow/two-weapons" thunder.

Glad to see Arcane Recovery returning (in an earlier packet it was Signature Spell).

Three things I don't quite like:

- Long swords, possibly the most iconic weapon in fantasy, is a second-tier weapon. I'd like to see it merged with the Bastard Sword.
- The armor list is still a bit wonky. Even if your Dex modifier is +3 or +4, there's no reason to use Light armor instead of Medium armor, which is very counter-intuitive.
- I quite liked skills as applying to several ability checks. In earlier packets, a character skilled in Ride could use it with Dexterity to guide his mount in combat, with Charisma to calm a panicked mount, with Constitution to endure a cross-country trek and with Wisdom to care for a wounded mount. Now the skills are tied to specific tasks, which seems more limiting.

The important issue here is that hardcoding feats into the character creation (important mechanics available only through feats, bonus feats as class features) defeats the promised modularity and overcomplicates the core that should be kept as simple as possible.
No so much.
It just means that in the Basic game, what would be would be pre-selected. Straight bonuses. Just like Backgrounds: instead of a choice there'd be the default assumption.

Klaus

First Post
Aren't feats optional? How do bonus feats from classes work if you're playing the basic version? Do you get the bonus feats but not the normal ones?

In a basic game, bonus feats will probably be pre-selected.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Jester Canuck!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In a basic game, bonus feats will become "class features".

(Just thought I'd mention this a third time so that everybody finally understands it. A "class feature" is nothing more than a feat that you get no choice on. So any "Basic" options for the "Basic" game just remove most options a player chooses. Remember this always going forward-- anything that seems "complex" because you have to make a choice... becomes "simple" when the game makes the choice for you.)

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Right now the biggest problem in the game is DM section, specifically the rules on challenges (they exist) and recommended skill DC's. I'm mostly happy with the direction of the other rules so far.

Oh, and the main hand damage on the Urgrosh is too high. It should be 1d8/1d4 to balance with the other double weapons and single handed weapons. I've given up on burying double weapons from the sight of man for all eternity, and now just want to make sure they aren't more powerful than other options.

Bow_Seat

First Post
I did a word search for 'challenge' in the DM guide and only found the word challenge three times, none were a method of doing things. Are you talking about contests? because I happen to like the contests

Li Shenron

Legend
I expect getting 1 Expertise die back is so seldom a worthwhile use of an action that I'd forget it was an option;

You're absolutely right!

Seriously, guys at WotC: what benefits do you expect something like this to bring to the game?

One ED back when you have used them all up, or 1-3 spell slots (see Arcane Recovery) regained.

It would be more understandable to have a completely encounter-based recharge system, even if personally I would not like it, but at least it would make more sense (and I even think that Hit Dice & short rests are a half-baked cake in this regard).

If you want an encounter-based game, make stuff (fully or partially) recharge at every encounter. If you want a more traditional game, make stuff recharge at night and increase the number of ED or spell slots if you think it's too low.

But in the current implementation, the only thing ED recharge and Arcane Recovery add to the game, is the frustration of players when they forget about it. One more layer of useless complexity IMHO. :(

An axe with a pointed bottom end? Look, if that's a double weapon, then so is a great sword. Grip it with your gauntlet and stab with one end, and use the other like a warhammer.

Just change the rules and say, "By switching how the weapon is held and swung, an Urgrosh can deal either slashing or piercing damage. It doesn't require an action to change grips this way." Then make it occasionally matter what type of damage you're doing.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I did a word search for 'challenge' in the DM guide and only found the word challenge three times, none were a method of doing things. Are you talking about contests? because I happen to like the contests

Yes, contests. My apologies; working from memory. My dislike of contests is part of my disease with the entire task resolution system. In their case, my specific problem is that they introduce too much randomness for no good reason.

Remove ads