D&D 5E New D&D Survey, with some in-depth setting questions

I thought high/low referred to the ubiquity of Magic more than the power. Settings where magic is very powerful but very rare generally get called low magic.
I've heard it in conversations about Eberron and how it differs from Forgotten Realms. From the discussions I've read, High Magic = there's powerful, world changing magic in the setting that influences things. A few god-like wizards that control entire nations, for example. Wide Magic or Broad Magic can overlap with High Magic but requires that magic can be spread out and ubiquitous throughout the world. If there are magic cars and industry everywhere but the power level caps out at 2nd level spells across the board, that can be considered Low Magic and Wide Magic. If you throw high powered magic in that effects the world, it becomes High Magic and Wide Magic. It essentially and X and Y axis of how common magic is with how powerful it is, generally.

But, like all discussions of magic, it's all made up. Most people are going to understand what you mean if you call a setting where every creature has 1 innate 1st level spells as High Magic.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I've heard it in conversations about Eberron and how it differs from Forgotten Realms. From the discussions I've read, High Magic = there's powerful, world changing magic in the setting that influences things. A few god-like wizards that control entire nations, for example. Wide Magic or Broad Magic can overlap with High Magic but requires that magic can be spread out and ubiquitous throughout the world. If there are magic cars and industry everywhere but the power level caps out at 2nd level spells across the board, that can be considered Low Magic and Wide Magic. If you throw high powered magic in that effects the world, it becomes High Magic and Wide Magic. It essentially and X and Y axis of how common magic is with how powerful it is, generally.

But, like all discussions of magic, it's all made up. Most people are going to understand what you mean if you call a setting where every creature has 1 innate 1st level spells as High Magic.
Ahh, ok that makes sense.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have to admit. After the kerfuffle in that thread, I would LOVE to see how the results of race fall out. Either way. Either I was completely wrong and halflings are more popular than I think, or, I was on the money and halflings are a vestigial also ran race that are only included because of tradition.

One can dream... :p
If there had been 4 chioces allowed instead of just 3, my 4th vote would have been Halfling.

Remove ads