• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey! On classes.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Horsey Sauce? It's the signature horseradish sauce from a popular fast-food chain in America.

1630008027226.png

CleverNickName

I don't get the definition of "keep up with other classes". Keep up with what? damage? spell progression? effectiveness? Even with a +2 to dexterity (or less) you are still a full caster. Full caster will always be effective.
Yep, these questions (and more) are at the heart of this experiment. But I want to take my time and do this right, make sure I'm not just slapping something together and saying "Good enough. See? I told you so." I want to give it proper care and attention, and that involves comparison with other popular character builds.

Pass or fail, I want to be able to say that I gave this my best effort. I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion later about how I "did it wrong," but that's the Internet for ya.

I like Vicious Mockery because it's a support debuff you can apply At-Will, but I would be REALLY happy if there had been more of those available to the Bard... How about a 'Stillness of Silence' cantrip that slows a target? Or a miniature Fairie Fire that hits 1 target for 1 turn?
Agreed. There are half a dozen combat cantrips I'd add to the bard list starting with Poison Spray and Mind Sliver.
But the rapier thing... I totally get it, it's way too good.
Dexterity in general is far too good, affecting initiative, AC, attacks, and damage rolls, and a wide range of skills. The rapier is the best dex melee weapon. This is the sort of thing weapon tables do and is especially glaring with the rapier wielded by anyone with martial weapons and dex, plus rogues and bards.

CleverNickName

Just so Im clear the goal is to make a Bard that is both unique and fun to play, not necessarily optimized correct?
Yep. The goal is to create "a bard worth playing," that isn't the typical cliché. Optimization isn't a goal--it never is a goal for me--but it's the first thing that critics will point at as evidence of failure. I like to be prepared, and do my due diligence. @Snarf Zagyg is expecting my A-game. ;)

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Yep. The goal is to create "a bard worth playing," that isn't the typical cliché. Optimization isn't a goal...it never is a goal for me...but it's the first thing that critics will point at as evidence of failure...so I like to be prepared, and do my due diligence. ;)
Lets assume for the sake of argument that whatever character build people choose would fit into a specific campaign. If I create a character people can easily say well that character wouldn't work in your average campaign/adventuring party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads