D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

Parmandur

Book-Friend
DMG makes it clear certain settings (and Eberron is included in the list) diverge substantially from the default. To try to claim that Eberron’s default is the core D&D default is not only controversial, but contradicted by the books themselves. Now Wayfinder’s has suggestions on how to bring it closer to the default, but to take those suggestions as proof that Eberron matches D&D default is at best a gross misreading of the books and at worst intellectually dishonest.

The fact he tries to cry out “stop badwrongfunning me” anytime someone picks him up on this point is just the cherry on the whole situation.

The DMG places Eberron on the same material plane with Forgotten Realms and Birthright, which as Crawford points out has implications for spells like Teleportation Circle. I wouldn't want to misread the books or nothing, though.

Saying "your fun is bad and wrong" can be construed as badwrongfun in some circles.

JohnLynch

Explorer
The DMG places Eberron on the same material plane with Forgotten Realms and Birthright,
It point blank doesn’t.

Given your now reduced to basically saying “nuh uh” I’m going to leave this thread. I’ve said my piece and I don’t see how any further discussion with you will be enlightening. Enjoy your games and happy gaming!

Saying "your fun is bad and wrong" can be construed as badwrongfun in some circles.
If you are trying to claim I did this then I think your proving lowkey’s statement that your “one of the nicer people here” to be flat out wrong. Because not once have I done this.

If anyone feels like continuing the discussion with me, feel free to PM me. I have no interest in arguing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It point blank doesn’t.

Given your now reduced to basically saying “nuh uh” I’m going to leave this thread. I’ve said my piece and I don’t see how any further discussion with you will be enlightening. Enjoy your games and happy gaming!

If you are trying to claim I did this then I think your proving lowkey’s statement that your “one of the nicer people here” to be flat out wrong. Because not once have I done this.

If anyone feels like continuing the discussion with me, feel free to PM me. I have no interest in arguing.

I'm not sure about that last part, based on evidence provided thus far...

I appreciate @lowkey13 praise, and I'll take it. I do not thin it is terribly unkind to point out aggressively that the default stated in the DMG is "homebrew" and "doesn't sound like fun to me" is a mite on the badwrognfun scale.

And yes, the DMG does state plainly that Eberron, Birthright, Greyhawk, FR, Dark Sun, Mystarra, et al are on the one and same material plane. It's right in there in the planar chapter. Take it or leave it.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I respect homebrew way more than canon. That’s what players are supposed to do. Take a setting and make it their own. I can’t count the number of times that is stressed in the books. It’s like people look down at you and say you are not a purist or being true to the setting when that is the intent.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Man that last round of exchanges started out pretty interesting and then just turn quite sour.

Let’s go in another direction, and talk about the upcoming book. @Parmandur you theorized that the Archivist subclass May have been a stealth test for a psionic concept all along. What makes you think that?

Anyone else already preorder the book? I’ve got my order in for the alt cover. I’ll probably get it on DDB as well when it comes out, since it will have some new mechanics that won’t be updated to Wayfinders.

Has anyone heard anything about whether they’ll expand on the common magic item list, or anything like that?

Also, I don’t see anyone talking about how this book is basically a PHB2. Like, an actual one, unlike Xanathar’s, which had no new race options. We are getting a new class, new races, player-facing magic item rules, new rules for a range of stuff, new background type things, etc.

Reynard

Legend
Also, I don’t see anyone talking about how this book is basically a PHB2. Like, an actual one, unlike Xanathar’s, which had no new race options. We are getting a new class, new races, player-facing magic item rules, new rules for a range of stuff, new background type things, etc.

Some folks have mentioned that it is similar is structure to Ravnica, which I do not own but am beginning to think I should pick up since the format for the new ECS sounds pretty awesome...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Man that last round of exchanges started out pretty interesting and then just turn quite sour.

Let’s go in another direction, and talk about the upcoming book. @Parmandur you theorized that the Archivist subclass May have been a stealth test for a psionic concept all along. What makes you think that?

Anyone else already preorder the book? I’ve got my order in for the alt cover. I’ll probably get it on DDB as well when it comes out, since it will have some new mechanics that won’t be updated to Wayfinders.

Has anyone heard anything about whether they’ll expand on the common magic item list, or anything like that?

In the D&D Beyond video about the new Psionic damage Cantrip from the latest UA, Crawford goes out of his way to tie it into the Archivist out of nowhere. Makes me think the Archivist is, one, not dead, and two, possibly wasn't meant for Eberron to begin with. But that's another thread...

I'm holding off on pre-ordering until I see the final cover art.

Crawford said in this video that there will be more Common magic items, specifically to tie into the Artificer's Common magic item building powers.

Well, it is just like Ravnica, and Ravnica was constructed as PHB2/DMG2/MM2 ll in one.

Remove ads

Remove ads