D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sounds like Eberron fans are in for a helluva treat. Very nice. Despise Eberron myself, so this'll be a hard pass, but for those that enjoy it, this'll be awesome. :D
I can’t imagine despising a DnD setting. What’s so offensive about it to you? Either way, it’s got a ton of material that is hugely useful for a game in literally any world.

If you want the fluff of Eberron you shouldn't buy either Wayfinders Guide or Rising for it, you should buy the original Eberron Campaign Setting book from 3.5. You'll get more comprehensive information about the entirety of Khorvaire than anything you're going to get in the two 5E books. And then after that, pick up the other 3.5 expansion books like Five Nations, Dragonmarked, and Faiths of Eberron to get even more useful information.

Well, the 3.5 player book, but get the 4e campaign book. It’s just better.

But also, according to Keith, Rising as well as his upcoming Exploring Eberron book will both have a ton of lore that has never been delved into before (outside of his personal articles, perhaps, though he has said outright that a lot of it is stuff he hasn’t even gone into on his site of on Manifest Zone).

So, if you wan the lore, there is a very good chance you should indeed pick up the two books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can’t imagine despising a DnD setting. What’s so offensive about it to you? Either way, it’s got a ton of material that is hugely useful for a game in literally any world.

Well, the 3.5 player book, but get the 4e campaign book. It’s just better.

But also, according to Keith, Rising as well as his upcoming Exploring Eberron book will both have a ton of lore that has never been delved into before (outside of his personal articles, perhaps, though he has said outright that a lot of it is stuff he hasn’t even gone into on his site of on Manifest Zone).

So, if you wan the lore, there is a very good chance you should indeed pick up the two books.

Heck, pick up all four: all the 3.5 and 4E fluff will still be relevant, and the art is still cool.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Heck, pick up all four: all the 3.5 and 4E fluff will still be relevant, and the art is still cool.
Sure! I wish they would do bundles of dragon and dungeon articles by theme, though. There were a lot of truly excellent Eye On Eberron articles that I’d love to bundle together and have printed in a book, but I ain’t got time for doing it on my own.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Sure! I wish they would do bundles of dragon and dungeon articles by theme, though. There were a lot of truly excellent Eye On Eberron articles that I’d love to bundle together and have printed in a book, but I ain’t got time for doing it on my own.

Keith kept writing about Eberron on his blog, really high quality stuff like the these articles. Would be great to get that all together with them.

collin

Explorer
It's funny to me that some people mention using the Eberron book as source material for their Ravnica game because I have had the same thoughts ... IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION! :LOL: In looking at the Ravnica campaign setting, I thought it contained several pieces of good material to swipe for use in an Eberron setting adventure. Cross-pollination.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if WotC would ever consider a book with a higher page count and higher price point; something of a hybrid? Maybe a Darksun/Psionics book, or a Planescape/Spelljammer book. Those both make sense to put into one book as they had alot of setting specific rules.

Honestly as 5e has been maturing as a system while also reaching new audiences that don't know anything beyond the generic D&D fantasy of the FR products, I think what I might like to see them experiment with are "Starter Sets" that introduce new worlds to folks. Something like the Essentials Kit but instead of making it for core D&D make it for Dark Sun or Planescape (or maybe even Ravenloft). Combine that with a sourcebook that is a follow on purchase for folks who enjoy the "Starter Set" in that setting and I think there's a model there that could work.

Remove ads

Remove ads