D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Eberron has always had a powerful noir and pulpy feel and aesthetic, and this book looks to be faithfully continuing that. It's awesome, and this is very awesome.

I'm also beyond excited that with its inspirations lying in the 19th-20th century, it'll be an excellent source for running detective games and even Call of Cthulhu style games.
With the Ring of Siberys breaking apart, it'll be ripe for abhorrent things like the GOOs to slip through the cracks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, looking back at Ravnica, this new book has basically an identical format. Ravnica had:

Chapter 1: Character Creation, 18 pages
Chapter 2: The Guilds, 69 pages
Chapter 3: the Tenth District, 23 pages
Chapter 4: Creating Adventures, 50 pages
Chapter 5: Treasures, 10 pages
Chapter 6: Friends and Foes, 73 pages

This seems to match up with Rising from the Last War exactly, replacing the Guilds with a Gazeeter of the world and the Tenth District zoom in with a Sharn zoom in.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
So, looking back at Ravnica, this new book has basically an identical format. Ravnica had:

Chapter 1: Character Creation, 18 pages
Chapter 2: The Guilds, 69 pages
Chapter 3: the Tenth District, 23 pages
Chapter 4: Creating Adventures, 50 pages
Chapter 5: Treasures, 10 pages
Chapter 6: Friends and Foes, 73 pages

This seems to match up with Rising from the Last War exactly, replacing the Guilds with a Gazeeter of the world and the Tenth District zoom in with a Sharn zoom in.
Good on Wizards for experimenting with that format for GGtR and then similarly using something like that for the upcoming Eberron book!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Good lord WotC...keep you hands off my wallet!

I have 0 interest in Eberron, I dont like the setting, but given all the stuff this book contains, I just need to have it for my Ravnica game.

I'm pretty sure the stuff for Sharn will fit Ravnica like a glove.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good on Wizards for experimenting with that format for GGtR and then similarly using something like that for the upcoming Eberron book!

The Guildmasters Guide ending up being a brilliant book, it's unfortunate so many let the avant garde eccentricity of the setting get in the way of really getting at the meat there. They did a huge amount with 256 pages, this book is going to be a monster at 320.

I'm also pretty excited for what they can do with this format for other settings, as I can see it scaling beautifully to make different settings genre booster packs to the core books.

Remove ads

Remove ads