D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really don’t think it matters except to a few of us. But it’s fun to play with and I don’t use any published cosmology. Yet my mystara, oerth, homebrew, keynote, and forgotten realms played well. And only maybe 5% of players that played with me took any interests in the planar structure. All they knew was the spell or gate took me from point a to point b. Or maybe this spell says it draws power from this plane. Maybe the spell lied where it drawed it’s power from.

My group is the opposite. I have to tell them to cool it sometimes and remind them that their character doesn’t know every detail about the world and cosmos, because they try to ask about every damn thing.

Especially in character creation.

Tbf, I’ve spent years with these jerks cultivating that, but a lot of the new people I introduce to dnd also want to know about the world, and when I say anything about the cosmos, they start asking all sorts of questions.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I used to explain to players that the world Is like heinlein’s number of the beast. Now I use the marvel analogy. You are not on Eberron 616. You are on Eberron 765123. And every dm has their own number. What I describe may not be the same as in a setting book or gazetteer because i deliberately (not always) made changes because some of you have read everything.

I have rarely run an adventure as written too.

By the way. I do find 3.5 Eberron to be one of the best books ever written. Along with domain of dread and al qadim. Don’t know anything about 4E Eberron. That’s not a criticism it may have been great. I just don’t know it.

JohnLynch

Explorer
But it is the default assumption of the game as a whole: at the very least equally valid.
I’m okay with multiple ways so long as my way is acknowledged as the default. Lol.

MToF sounds like a Greyhawk book. Dunno why I’d use it in my Eberron game. But more power to you if you do! Grazz’t could totally be an Overlord in Eberron (perhaps he escaped being improsoned by fleeing to another world).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’m okay with multiple ways so long as my way is acknowledged as the default. Lol.

MToF sounds like a Greyhawk book. Dunno why I’d use it in my Eberron game. But more power to you if you do! Grazz’t could totally be an Overlord in Eberron (perhaps he escaped being improsoned by fleeing to another world).

Well, it's a Planescape character having stolen a Greyhawk characters notes, that mentions a large number of other settings. General D&D.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Planescape? Makes even less sense to use it for an Eberron campaign. But I know lots of people enjoy homebrewing all sorts of stuff so I hope they enjoy it.

In planescape the primes are clueless. They think they understand the planes, but their models are wrong... and so may theirs. That’s the beauty of planescape.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That seems counter to everything I’ve read in my Eberron books. You got a source from an Eberron book on that?

Again, as per upthread, this is discussed in the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, and Crawford goes into detail from the brand perspective in a video also posted upthread. Your Eberron may or may not plug in, but default Eberrnon is part of the broader Planescape default setting for D&D.

Remove ads

Remove ads