• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ: What's different/added?

starwed

First Post
Momentum is maintained when teleporting
That should create some interesting effects (the *SPLAT* kind of effects) if the campaing world is a rotating spheroid, like Earth.
Or if it's a rotating Discworld. While this sort of ruling can be very... entertaining, it's one of those cases where it's much easier (and actually more consistant) to ignore real world physics.

BryonD

Hero
frankthedm said:
It is a fine ruling. Teleporting while standing is safe {other than the mishap %], Teleporting while falling is not.

Does an object with momentum maintain that momentum if teleported?

Nothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics wouldn’t continue to apply, so it appears that momentum is maintained. If you’re plummeting toward the ground when you cast teleport to reach a safe spot, you’d still be “falling” and would therefore take damage as appropriate to the distance you actually fell before teleporting.

I think the point is that if you are standing on a rotating sphere and you teleport to a far distant area without changing you momentum, then your momentum will not match the ground under your feet. By a lot. That would be a problem.

Not one that common sense can not overcome however.

shilsen

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
To me, that's the funniest reasoning ever.

Nothing in the rules suggests that physics would apply. On the other hand, the rules often go against physics.
QFT.

Picking this one spell and suggesting physics should apply when we ignore physics regularly for magic seems very arbitrary.

Twowolves

Explorer
Never mind teleporting across the planet, change in altitude, and all those situations, this ruling can ruin teleporting to or from a ship on the high seas.

mvincent

Explorer
frankthedm said:
It is a fine ruling.
I have no problem getting the ruling to work, but as mentioned, it created further discrepancies that needed to be addressed (didn't you read them?). I was going to chide the Sage for not at least considering these things, but evidently he was not the only one.

mvincent

Explorer
Enforcer said:
they explicitly say magical attacks that do bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing damage still ignore DR, whereas Complete Psionic took great pains to detail how powers such as swarm of crystals are affected by DR...
I had always understood the former (i.e. those are the standard rules), but I was unaware of the latter. Can you quote that section?

frankthedm

First Post
Twowolves said:
Never mind teleporting across the planet, change in altitude, and all those situations, this ruling can ruin teleporting to or from a ship on the high seas.
Ships don't move that bloody fast, it would be like a barbarian was tripped during movement.

And count me in the crew that feels teleporting to a moving object is at best like going somethere "seen casually"

MarkB

Legend
frankthedm said:
Ships don't move that bloody fast, it would be like a barbarian was tripped during movement.
Some settings' airships can manage around 60 mph. That's not going to be fun.

And count me in the crew that feels teleporting to a moving object is at best like going somethere "seen casually"
Okay, what if you dimension door from one spot on a ship's deck to another? Or from one ship to another, as they pass close to each other on different courses?

Twowolves

Explorer
frankthedm said:

So, you wouldn't mind running into a wall at say 20-30mph? That won't hurt at all, will it?

And teleporting OFF a ship to your home base certainly doesn't fall under the "seen casually" category.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
the more i hear about the faq, the more i tend to hate it. about the teleport thing, if you telepart to another plane, and assume that plane has its own momentum, or lets that your on a earth like place. If you telepoart from earth, your moveing at the speed of the earth into the other plane. OW, thats physics for you. faq alwayse make more problems then they fix.

earth moves at 18.5 miles a second

thats

26640 miles an hour, if my math is right. if you keep your momentum just telaporting from one point on the earth to another unless you see it as riding on a the top of a train and jumping from one car to another, otherwise it should outright kill you, or at least do 20d6 damage. Too bad, looks like the faq broke the spell... :(

red text doesent make right :p

Last edited:

Remove ads