• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ: What's different/added?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ships don't move that bloody fast, it would be like a barbarian was tripped during movement.

Ship 1 is going North at 20 knots. Ship 2 is going South at 20 knots. 1 Knot = 1.150779 mile (statute)/hour (mph), so each ship is going 23.01558 mph.

Uhrquart the Unlucky teleports from deck of ship 1 to deck of ship 2, but mistargets his landing point, and lands directly in front of the mainmast of ship 2. His collision speed with said mast is 40 knots, or 46.0.116mph.

That will leave a mark...

For comparison, the estimated top speed for a typical old-tech clipper was 20 knots, and the current world record for a clipper is 34 knots (http://www.sail-world.com/Australia...=23560&srcid=0&ntid=0&tickeruid=0&tickercid=0)...if Uhrquart 'ported from that ship to one similarly speedy, his resultant impact would be at 78.25297mph.

...though in all honesty, I doubt its even possible to go top speed in opposite directions, merely 'porting from such a speedy ship onto land would get him appearing at nearly 40mph.

Last edited:

isoChron

First Post
Just teleport from north to south over many miles. Since the ground moves faster at the equator than at the poles (rotation and distance from axis). *SPLAT* :D

kerbarian

Explorer
Matafuego said:
I agree, the relative speed thing doesn't work, since, well, since speed is relative and I don't believe we can define "your environment" as a frame of reference.
Actually, I think that defining "your environment" as a frame of reference is exactly what we have to do. Consider the case where teleport doesn't maintain momentum. You're falling and you teleport safely onto the ground. In order to *not* maintain momentum, the teleport spell had to decide that you would end up stationary relative to the ground. IOW, it had to figure out the reference frame of your environment and set you at rest relative to it.

If that's considered reasonable behavior for the spell, I don't see why it couldn't figure out two reference frames, one for "your environment" at the origin of the spell, and another for the environment at the destination. Then it could recreate the subject's momentum relative to the origin frame in the destination frame. And of course it would be a DM call as to what the teleport spell chooses as the environment frame if you're doing something like teleporting between two moving ships.

Which has nothing to do with the rules of physics applying, of course, but it does seem like plausible spell behavior that would result in the appearance of maintained momentum (falling guys are still falling after a teleport) without all the nasty issues people have brought up in the thread.

I think the line about the rules of physics can be safely discounted anyway. It's background for an answer, not an answer in itself, and it's wrong on its face -- if the laws of physics still applied during the spell, the teleport couldn't happen in the first place. At best, it could mean "Nothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics wouldn’t continue to apply", excepting the event of the teleport itself. Which still leaves it wide open as to what happens during the event of the teleport (when physics don't apply).

kjenks

First Post
anon said:
Teleport far enough so that my motion relative to the planet sends me flying to the moon?

Earth rotates on it axis once per 24 hours. The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers). So you're going a bit more than 1,000 miles/hour at the equator compared to the velocity vector at the poles (neglecting polar inclination).

Teleport is limited to 100 miles/caster level. At caster level 20, that would be 2,000 miles or roughly 30 degrees of latitude.

So if you teleport from the equator (90 degrees latitude) north or south to 60 degrees of latitude, the difference in the magnitude of the velocity vectors would be 1,000 mph * (sin 90 - sin 60) or 133 mph.

Consider jumping out of a moving vehicle at that speed. Ouch.

Aaron L

Hero
I have absolutely no problem allowing a wizard to use a 5th level teleport spell to negate falling damage as with a 1st level feather fall spell.

This ruling will be chucked into the garbage, as with most of the FAQ.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
mvincent said:
Seriously?

1) Awakened animal CR calculations
2) Awakened trees and awakened undead do not gain skills and feats
Woot! He answers my questions at last. Too bad he used the version of awaken undead from Libris Mortis rather than the version from the Spell Compendium, which lacks the quoted sentence. It reads like I have reading comprehension issues instead of using the latest version of the spell.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:
What if someone's standing on the deck of a ship that's been pushed off a cliff? Is he not-moving relative to the ship, or is he moving relative to the ground? If he teleports from the plummeting ship to the ground, does he take falling damage?

What can you define your position relative to? If someone falls off a cliff and teleports to the ground, he takes falling damage. If he falls off a cliff, stands on his shield (air-surfer style), and then teleports to the ground, is he not-moving relative to the shield?

-Hyp.

These questions are left as an exercise for the student. Let me know what you come up with, and I'll grade you accordingly.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Matafuego said:
Besides... What's the problem of letting teleport prevent falling damage?...
Exactly my thought as well.

BTW: The computer I originally read the pdf (FAQ) in did NOT display the red new type with grey background. Hence my original question.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
No. people who want to read in more than is intended want to break it.

Teleporting while falling and you still go splat, simple as that.

I think the point was suspension of full reality. If one wants to assume that you still fall after teleport, I think that’s a bit anal, so I think taking Planetary movement is just fine if that’s the way sage wants to play it. The point is that taking falling damage in the first place is ridicules, so any use of this spell makes it go splat, simple as that.

Legildur

I think ina works regardless of faq or not. yeah im one of those. im also one of those guys who thinks that towershields grant cover 360 Degrease all Degrees, and that vop clarics can have holy symbles :p

Thanee, i think hyp said it best

"What can you define your position relative to? If someone falls off a cliff and teleports to the ground, he takes falling damage. If he falls off a cliff, stands on his shield (air-surfer style), and then teleports to the ground, is he not-moving relative to the shield?"

sage wanted to be all technical for those type of people, but frogot about how fast planets move.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads