• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ: What's different/added?

Aaron L

Hero
Pinotage said:
You mean throwing out the 99% of the FAQ that is correct? :)

Pinotage

I havent had a situation that Ive ever needed the FAQ to clarify any part of the rules for me, so after reaing a ruling like this... if this is is how it handles silly little things like using Teleport to avoid falling damage, Ill just chuck the whole thing and go with my own good sense.

I always trust my own judgement than anyones overly legalistic interpretation of the rules.

(seriously, its magic that lets you travel instantaneously from one place to another. How is letting it take away falling momentum going to destroy your game? Its a silly ruling.)

Last edited:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Here's a cool trick for an Eberron campaign.

Find yourself a barrel full of thunderstones.

Position yourself alongside the lightning rail track of your choice.

Cast teleport object on the barrel with the lightning rail train as the destination.

Cheers,
Cam

mvincent

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Ill just chuck the whole thing and go with my own good sense.
I'm happy for you. You could possibly handle all of the core rules the same way. However, in rules forums (and in games played by rules lauders), the FAQ is considered part of the rules and so matters. I personally am very thankful for it... and for the RotG, and anything else WotC can supply to further detail the core rules, despite occasional nafs. No one is perfect (some of us simply complain overly much).

Cam Banks said:
Here's a cool trick for an Eberron campaign.

Find yourself a barrel full of thunderstones.

Position yourself alongside the lightning rail track of your choice.

Cast teleport object on the barrel with the lightning rail train as the destination.

Cheers,
Cam

Or, be on the train, and teleport the barrel to some familiar place. Say, the king's throne room. Feel free to replace thunderstones with alchemists fire for burnination fun, or tanglefoot bags just for the purpose of annoying people.

Or, have an archer fire an arrow. Ready an action to cast Teleport Without Error on the arrow. Teleport the arrow to directly in front of an enemy. This essentially allows you to emulate the 10th level power of an Arcane Archer, without that pesky problem of 1 use per day.

Magic and physics don't mix.

Bad Paper

First Post
mvincent said:
3) If you avoid the initial attack from Black tentacles or free yourself from the grapple, the tentacles won’t
attack you again.
I hate this ruling, and am ignoring it. It's like saying "if you make your first Balance check in a sleet storm (or freezing fog or whatever), then the spell no longer applies for you." Stupid.
mvincent said:
8) Items in a bag of holding are effectively on another plane
I would have preferred a ruling on what-happens-when-you-hit-Boccob's-blessed-book-with-Mordy's-disjunction. Of course, I would have then blasted the ruling and ignored it anyway.
mvincent said:
10) Momentum is maintained when teleporting
So stupid it's comical. "No, you can't burn a risky fifth-level spell in a creative solution to this damn big fall you're experiencing."

I continue to hold the FAQ in almost as much contempt as I hold WotC CustServ.

mvincent

Explorer
Bad Paper said:
I would have preferred a ruling on what-happens-when-you-hit-Boccob's-blessed-book-with-Mordy's-disjunction.
Did you dislike the bag of holding ruling, or did you merely think is was obvious and so not needed.

I continue to hold the FAQ in almost as much contempt as I hold WotC CustServ.
That seems unduly harsh (to the FAQ, that is).

MadJax

First Post
From now on I'll make it clear to my GMs that my character always has zero momentum, it's the planet that moves around/beneath him.
:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads