New FAQ: What's different/added?

mvincent

Explorer
Nail said:
...my quick glance-through didn't find any changes. What did I miss?
Seriously?

1) Awakened animal CR calculations
2) Awakened trees and awakened undead do not gain skills and feats
3) If you avoid the initial attack from Black tentacles or free yourself from the grapple, the tentacles won’t
attack you again.
4) Black tentacles cannot created in the open air
5) Terrain effects apply only to characters entering a square with the terrain effect, not to those
leaving such a square.
6) Some other Grease related answers
7) Mordenkainen’s disjunction works on intelligent magic items
8) Items in a bag of holding are effectively on another plane (same with Mordenkainen’s magnificent mansion, portable hole etc.)
9) You can teleport out of manacles
10) Momentum is maintained when teleporting

Someone

Adventurer
mvincent said:
10) Momentum is maintained when teleporting

That should create some interesting effects (the *SPLAT* kind of effects) if the campaing world is a rotating spheroid, like Earth.

mvincent

Explorer
Someone said:
That should create some interesting effects (the *SPLAT* kind of effects) if the campaing world is a rotating spheroid, like Earth.
That's being discussed here. It's an ill conceived ruling, but I believe it can be accommodated smoothly.

Thanee

First Post
So, if you teleport to the other side of a planet, do you stand on your head then?

I always find it funny what kind of silly discussions such simple rulings can result in. :D

Good I'm interpretive and not RAW. :p

Bye
Thanee

frankthedm

First Post
mvincent said:
That's being discussed here. It's an ill conceived ruling, but I believe it can be accommodated smoothly.
It is a fine ruling. Teleporting while standing is safe {other than the mishap %], Teleporting while falling is not.

Does an object with momentum maintain that momentum if teleported?

Nothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics wouldn’t continue to apply, so it appears that momentum is maintained. If you’re plummeting toward the ground when you cast teleport to reach a safe spot, you’d still be “falling” and would therefore take damage as appropriate to the distance you actually fell before teleporting.

Enforcer

Explorer
The annoying contradiction is that they explicitly say magical attacks that do bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing damage still ignore DR, whereas Complete Psionic took great pains to detail how powers such as swarm of crystals are affected by DR...

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Well if it didn't conserve momentum than stuff is slamming into you rather than you slamming into stuff -- a problem either way.

Bare bones it just means if your going to teleport away to save yourself from damage you pick a destination with a watery, spongy, or soft surface to finish the fall onto.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
frankthedm said:
INothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics wouldn’t continue to apply, so it appears that momentum is maintained.
To me, that's the funniest reasoning ever.

Nothing in the rules suggests that physics would apply. On the other hand, the rules often go against physics.

Remove ads