• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ: What's different/added?

Enforcer

Explorer
mvincent said:
I had always understood the former (i.e. those are the standard rules), but I was unaware of the latter. Can you quote that section?
Page 79 of Complete Psionic, in the "Metacreativity and Damage Reduction" sidebar. Basically, psionics is directly nerfed despite the standard rules.

anon

First Post
The "new" teleport rule doesn't work at all. We are supposed to figure out falling momentum because the spell doesn't say to ignore physics?! Is this a joke? The spell completely breaks the laws of physics with regard to motion and time! That is the POINT of the spell.

But we should pay attention to our falling momentum...

How about teleporting from a horse? Do I arrive at a gallop? Teleport while sliding? I skid to the destination? Teleport far enough so that my motion relative to the planet sends me flying to the moon?

This ruling is so problematic as to be useless.

Last edited:

Musrum

First Post
A nice house rule might be to allow you to s t r e t c h into the new frame of reference by delaying the 'port by 1 round for every 10' of velocity.

frankthedm

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Too bad, looks like the faq broke the spell... :(
No. people who want to read in more than is intended want to break it.

Teleporting while falling and you still go splat, simple as that.

Musrum

First Post
frankthedm said:
No. people who want to read in more than is intended want to break it.

Teleporting while falling and you still go splat, simple as that.

Or alternatively, teleport in place, inverted, and fall back up to the top of the cliff. You might need to give yourself a few extra feet to account for wind resistance.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I think that the intent of the ruling is that your relative velocity is maintained between your starting point and destination - if you are moving relative to the surrounding environment when you begin the teleport, you retain that movement (relative to the new surrounding environment) when you arrive.

So if you are standing on the deck of a ship, you are not moving relative to the ship, so you are not moving relative to the ground if you teleport down. You also wouldn't be moving relative to the surrounding air if you teleported to a point in space (although you would quickly begin moving relative to the air after you arrived if you aren't levitating or flying).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Caliban said:
So if you are standing on the deck of a ship, you are not moving relative to the ship, so you are not moving relative to the ground if you teleport down.

What if someone's standing on the deck of a ship that's been pushed off a cliff? Is he not-moving relative to the ship, or is he moving relative to the ground? If he teleports from the plummeting ship to the ground, does he take falling damage?

What can you define your position relative to? If someone falls off a cliff and teleports to the ground, he takes falling damage. If he falls off a cliff, stands on his shield (air-surfer style), and then teleports to the ground, is he not-moving relative to the shield?

-Hyp.

Matafuego

Explorer
I agree, the relative speed thing doesn't work, since, well, since speed is relative and I don't believe we can define "your environment" as a frame of reference.

Besides... What's the problem of letting teleport prevent falling damage? It's a very high level spell preventing something a 1st level spell could do as well...

Remove ads