new generator lists

graydoom

First Post
I'm neutral about the thunderbird idea -- personally, I think Roc would work just as well. But thunderbird is fine with me if more people want it.

And I quite like the Kraken and the Leviathan. We need some more aquatic creatures, and those two (IMO) fit perfectly, and go well together.

Pretty much any of the suggestions mentioned in this thread would be better than angel, devil, and wraith. Though so far I think Kraken and Leviathan are the best... the aquatic images could make for some interesting moves.

reiella

Explorer
Don't believe they have changed just yet, just under discussion.

Especially a few that read oddly.

Hey Wicht, can you post an updated form of the proposed style list?

Zappo

Explorer
How many 'blades' are there? Sword, dagger, kama... am I missing any? According to the model Wicht's proposed, one of these has to go.

I see two suggestions: either keep dagger and sword, or drop them both and use kama and, say, katana. First one is more generic, second one is more oriental.

reiella

Explorer
Hmm, well I wouldn't do that myself, if anything I'd suggest replacing sword with blade...

Kama and Scythe work well paired... They are both fairly simple sickle type weapons.

Wicht

Hero
I will try to work out another list tomorrow if I get the time, I am only online for about an hour this afternoon.

Wicht

Hero
A couple clarifications incase anybody is still confused - this is still the planning stages of this discussion. Nothing has been implemented and no styles have yet to be changed.

Also, I notice a lot of people worried about overlapping (as in how many blades are there). This is a bit silly as overlapping cannot be helped. A dragon is both a wyrm and a reptile, breaths fire and has claws and fangs. A number of defenses will always affect it however. I will add that some styles are just naturally more impressive than others (dragon vs. toad for instance) and viewed in this way the overlapping is not as serious an issue. The main objective as I see it is to try and make sure that each style as a potential defense against it.

How these defenses and styles play out in real game is a matter for each individual judge to decide for themselves.

So here is a current list to debate - what we want is 25 pairs and 25 defenses. As more suggestions are made I will alter the list. The first two words are the style and the words in parenthesis are the related defense

Oh and Leviathan and Kraken just do not sound like styles to me (unless you are Godzilla), so I picked shark to pair with Manta-ray

1. Snake, Lizard (reptile)
2. crane, falcon (bird)
3. fox, wolf (canine)
4. tiger, panther (cat)
5. rabbit, rat (rodent)
6. spider, scorpion (vermin)
7. crab, turtle (shell)
8. Manta Ray, Shark (fish)
9. Cherry Blossum, Lotus Blossum (flower)
10. Willow, Oak (tree)
11. Vine, Rose (garden)
12. dagger, sword (blade)
13. Needle, spear (arrow)
14. hammer, mace (iron)
15. staff, chopstick (wood)
16. kama, scythe (sickle)
17. cane, fan (nobility)
18. claw, fang (tooth and nail)
19. wyvern, dragon (wyrm)
20. unicorn, ki-rin (horn)
21. chimera, manticore (abomination)
22. pheonix, roc (???)
23. rain, thunder (storm)
24. West-wind, East-wind (breeze)
25. Blizzard, North-star (snow)

some obviously weak ones are 11, 15, 17, 22 (where we need a defense besides bird) and 25.

reiella

Explorer
Hmm, I still think pairint blizzard and thunder together with storm would be better, and pair northstar up with another star type and just keep the stars defense.

I have a bit of a difficulty attaching the northstar to snow myself, but hmm.

Do agree a bit with leviathan and kraken, but at the same time, they are pretty similiar to roc in that respect (simply huge creatures in that genre). For what phoenix + roc could pair against, celestial bird should work maybe.

Use the four winds as the defense appropiate to the west wind and east wind.

I'd also suggest changing snake to serpent if we can, it just sounds better I think.

Blossum is spelled Blossom :).

Also, I kind of would like to see the mantis style stay :).

[ Abandoned Styles ]
Fist, Frog, Jaguar, Mantis, Mongoose, Monkey, Owl, Raven, Thorn, Toad, and Tree

[ Rose ~= Rose Petal?, bit of caution here about the garden defense... It's also a location/turf ]

[ Added Styles ]
Shark, Willow, Oak, Mace, Scythe, Cane, Wyvern, Unicorn, roc, rain, east-wind

[ Stuff ]
Course personally I would like for manta ray to get shifted out myself, but that's just me :). But in all truth, I don't think keeping the underwater styles to be a good idea. For them to even 'interact' with creatures outside requires a bit of ... well water in the environment :).

Last edited:

Jackal

First Post
My two cents.

#13---replace needle with dart

#15---drop chopstick. replace with nunchaku

#22-- maybe defense of Talons or fowl but it would work for #2 also.
Reiella's celestial bird sounds good too. or even legendary bird.

#23---drop rain and replace with blizzard. from #25

#25--Replace blizzard with comet with star defense instead of snow. or maybe shuriken style which can be a star defense too.

Remove ads