• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New iron lore add

coyote6

Adventurer
Reading the Arrow Ladder Shot ability made me think, "Hmm, this is d20 Exalted." :) It just sounds like an Exalted charm, in name and effect.

The archer class also made me want a version of d20 where you can get abilities outside of increasing levels, so that one might build an archer with (say) more than 3 Sniper Shot abilities (without trading Killing Shot abilities for 'em). 'Cause they're really cool.

And also because, while Arrow Ladder Shot is really cool, it is (or would appear to be) so not as useful or powerful as Critical Shot. Especially given Mearls' comments on the direction of Iron Lore, it seems like "neat trick" will be far less valuable, and far less likely to be picked, than "good for killin'".

Felon

First Post
A'koss said:
Cool ad!

Whoa, 15 HP / Level. So my guess is that he has d6+6 HPs, Max at 1st level and a 20 Con. That'll give him his 90 HPs at 6th level assuming average rolls after 1st level.

Notice the ad says his traits give him bonus HP.

A'koss

Explorer
Felon said:
Notice the ad says his traits give him bonus HP.
Missed that, good point. Hmm, maybe the trait gives him +1 HP / Level and he has a 18/19 Con? Too early to tell. But I'm betting on a d6+6 HD...

A'koss.

Staffan

Legend
bolen said:
what are reserve hit points
Reserve hp are a system from Unearthed Arcana that's meant for campaigns with little access to healing. Basically, you have a number of Reserve hp equal to your normal hp. With rest, you recover hp from your pool of RHP at a rate of one per minute or something like that. RHP recover at pretty much the normal rate of hp recovery (level per day or something like that). So basically, it's a way to let you recover some hp between fights without having a cleric along.

Seems like his traits upped both his HP and his reserve. They added some awesome color to the character as well.

It's hard for me to tell if he got four feats or two.

If four it upsets an impression I had that some feats levelled up sort of automatically.

If two then I wonder where the others are since the archer class seemed to imply that you got a feat every even level.

If four then one every even level and one at first and none for his class in its own right, but some sort of huge mastery bonus for the feat group that includes power attack.

Driddle

First Post
Staffan said:
Reserve hp are a system from Unearthed Arcana that's meant for campaigns with little access to healing. Basically, you have a number of Reserve hp equal to your normal hp. With rest, you recover hp from your pool of RHP at a rate of one per minute or something like that. RHP recover at pretty much the normal rate of hp recovery (level per day or something like that). So basically, it's a way to let you recover some hp between fights without having a cleric along.

A backup fuel tank for your vehicle, so to speak, to keep you from running out of gas on the long, lonely highway of life.

A'koss

Explorer
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
If four then one every even level and one at first and none for his class in its own right, but some sort of huge mastery bonus for the feat group that includes power attack.
I suspect this is it with every class gaining 1 @ 1st and then at every even level after that (barring any "bonus" feats like archer). From the PA example it looks like you still have to put in feats slots to gain the mastery levels of improvement in it.

A'koss.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
This one's now definitely on my list.

Too bad the market isn't large enough to support it but I'd love to see variant Player's Handbooks from a number of different designers. I'd especially like to see what Bruce Cordell would come up with if left to create his own PHB.

Janx

Hero
On the product description page of Iron Lore, it says the PDF is 240 pages, and the print version is 256. What's up with that?

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_IL
scroll down to see the page and pricing

One thing I do like is how that tweaked the hit dice.
Instead of giving 1d8 per level, they give 1d4+4. The max is the same, but the minimum is shifted greatly. No more getting a 5th level guy with 20 hit points or less, due to bad rolling.

I also like the idea of storing tokens to do something. Very cool concept.

Janx

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads