New Modern?

Vigilance

Explorer
Good to here. I'm definitely interested in taking a look at Modern20. How compatible is it with d20 Modern? Is conversion straight forward or is it complex? and are their conversion guidelines? I want to be able to use my d20 Modern library with Modern20 without having to re-write everything.

Modern20 is a completely new rules set built from the ground up. It's a modern OGL game.

It's primary influences are d20 Modern and True 20. It's more streamlined in some ways than d20 Modern but is a non-FX game by default. Some of the supplements from the book add things like psionics and powers to the mix, but it's a separate animal from d20 Modern.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I would appreciate a short, single-paragraph description regarding the "Blood and" series. . . please and thank you. Multiple perspectives would be good too.

The "Blood and" series is a collection of d20 Modern add-ons. Each tweaks the base rule set with new feats, talents, skill uses, equipment, and Advanced and Prestige classes. A couple of them also have new base classes.

Personally, I've found them a mixed bag.
Minuses: Chuck's dedication to realism has lead to some things that are hugely important in real life being translated into game mechanics, when the looseness of the d20 system intentionally glosses over many of those points. Some of his feats are obviously better than the core rules, others are worse. Similarly, the skill uses and talents often leave me wondering "why did he even make mechanics for that!?"

Pluses: They're built with love; as screwy as some of the stuff has been, it's obvious that Chuck really likes and groks the base rules. They are very focused supplements, but they all are designed with an eye towards combining (most of) them into a massive and sprawling whole, so there's a lot of good balance between them and even the occasional cross reference in the campaign options. Lots of great research, ideas, and flavor text, all done with skill (and often references), compiled into one tasty bundle. Excellent product support, in the form of free updates (or good coupons when they completely re-publish the book), and the unique opportunity to discuss the material directly with the author (you're a good man, Vigilance).

I pick up the Blood supplements for all their non-mechanical stuff. That's me. Others find the mechanics to be semi-divine in their appropriateness and balance.

Loonook

First Post
I would appreciate a short, single-paragraph description regarding the "Blood and" series. . . please and thank you. Multiple perspectives would be good too.

Though Vigilance (being kinda 'the guy' on the project') gave the baseline, personally I find Blood and X to be a great balancing board to allow all sorts of men and beasties into my Modern games. &Fists provides a great framework for martial arts and their practice (allowing for basic involvement all the way up to Masters of X style), while &Vigilance allows for some great heroes material. Overall each contains so much information and new and fancy ways to adapt that information that it makes for a great series of books . . . and the add-ons to each set give dozens of cool options.

Overall, I like both their portability and mixing; I can easily, for example, 'boost up' a villain with abilities from &Vigilance and know about what level of 'oomph' they'll add vs. the level (I usually keep it at a boost of ~ 1.75 the power of a nonheroic PC of equal level) and the guidelines and abilities of the mini-talent 'mastery' trees of &Fist give a great series of ideas for building up new mystic or fancy unique fighting styles for players who are interested in such.

I know, two paragraphs, but they are worth it ;).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Blood and Relics is a gothic modern horror rule set for running Davinci Code/Constantine/Omen/Tomb Raider type modern games.

-----------

Blood and Secrets is for military games that are more SHIELD or GI Joe than the Unit.
Hmm, both of those books sound like something that I could use.

Krensky

First Post
Well, my current go to game for modern (and a bit more) is Spycraft 2.0. The core books covers a lot of ground, and the PDF books expand that more with cosmic horror, magic, alternate systems, even the generic classes from d20 Modern (that are worth taking for all 20 levels).

True20 is also exceptionally good with alot of support. I own a copy and pull it out every now and again to see if it'll grab me or to kit-bash, but it's a little loose for my taste. As an aside: Darren, Reign of Discordia is a great read and setting, even if it isn't my preferred system.

I've heard good things about Modern20, and it's in my list of things to buy, along with some of Reality Deviant's other True20 stuff, some of the M&M2 books, the D6 books, and Savage Worlds when disposable income presents itself. (I'm a bit of a collector. :blush:).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Both Spycraft 2.0 and True20 are solid games for modern play - very different in feel and approach, but both do the job, and do it well.

The advantage of Tru20 is that it is very simple to play, and very generic. Great for a system that the players only need to learn once, whether you are emulating D&D or Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

The advantage of Spycraft is the cinematic feel, and that the characters feel larger than life, even at low levels. This is my current engine of choice, and I use it for a Delta Green game and what I have lately taken to calling Scoobypunk. (Started as steampunk, but this odd Scooby Doo vibe kicked in early....)

The Auld Grump

Greg K

Legend
I am still waiting for an opportunity to give True20 a whirl ( I have been running M&M for the past year)

However, I really like d20M and think it only needs a few changes

1) The fx rules need to be replaced. Personally, I like Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth (EN Publishing) and the Psychic's Handbook

2) Blood and Fists, imo, is a must for martial arts. Imo, it is the best take on martial arts for d20.

3) the automatic weapon rules need work

4) Action Points switched to M&M style hero points

5) Saving Throws: use a save progression based upon 4e

6) Add a Star Wars:SE damage track or replace hit points with a True20 wound system.

7) Skill Checks: Opposed rolls should be handled as a skill check vs. a DC equal to (10+opponent's ranks + stat bonus)

8) Occupations: More of them and should give bonus ranks in addition to granting extra class skills.

9) Advanced Classesand prcs: Rework them to have less prescribed abilities and instead have their own talent trees or grant more bonus feats.

10) Charles Rice should be hired to be the guy in charge of the d20M line and nobody else at WOTC should be allowed near the game.

Edit: I forgot three things
11) More hit points for starting characters
12) Foe Factory (Adamant): for quick NPC generation
13) Hot Pursuit (Adamant): for chase rules

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth is my choice for magic system in Spycraft - a very flexible system, and the system is actually better balanced against the somewhat more powerful classes of Spycraft than it was with D20 Modern. :)

In my Steampunk game I currently have one Classic Fey Magus and one Christian Healer (Salvation Army) Advocate with the appropriate feats. It works well.

The Auld Grump

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hmm... I'd think a revised WotC modern game would pretty much start with Star Wars Saga + the mechanics clean-ups that happened between SWSE and 4e (fixed HPs, standard attack progression across all classes, etc.), but keeping the bonus feats and talents model of abilities, rather than the powers model of 4e.

I agree - I don't think a d20 modern based on 4e D&D would really have many legs, but one based on SWSE with some cleanup as drothgery mentions would be a real winner.

Cheers

jonrog1

First Post
And I third the motion. Although I like 4E quite a bit, the 4E I thought we were getting -- SAGA with the rough edges filed off -- was the system of my dreams. I'd look at a couple of the SAGA conversions on the board.

That said, I'd go with True20 or modern 20. Modern20 in particular is impressive for pure modern gameplay.

I don't have the book in front of me -- was the SAGA system OGL?

Remove ads