• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

If you truly believe something like that should be fixed by printing an entire new edition, rather than in some online errata document (and incorporated free of charge in further print runs), then I guess I have nothing to tell you
How can it be free of chatge in further print runs. Last time I checked, noone came to my house, taking my old print with them and giving me a new one.

So I'd like to have a bit mkre for my money if I buy a new print anyway.

And no, having an endless errata sheet is not enough. At some point I want errata put together in a new book.

A book that has served me well for 10 years can be upgraded for 60 dollars.

A PC that served me well for 10 years can't be thaz easily replaced.

After 10 years, I will happily buy the next generation of, lets say, half-life, even though nothing really changed, except for better graphics...

Remathilis

Legend
I know I'm not the only one here who has espoused a preference for 1-hour short rests. Not going to dig back through 26 pages of this thread and all the other threads that have touched on this to find and cite the others who have seemed to support it. I also think they can speak well enough for themselves.
I have no problem with short rests being an hour. I DO have a problem with the gameplay loop of several features requiring them for recharge. A short rest should be a bonus, not a requirement. Use a HD, attunement to an item, recharge one use of a class function or get a few low level spells back. Gravy, not required.

I hate short rests, but a 5 min short rest is even worse than a 1 hour one. At that time, why not recharge everything after each encounter, or better yet, immediately
That doesn't make any sense.

5 mins is pretty much identical to 1 hour, except it doesn't destroy the dramatic flow of the scenario in the same way.

It's not like you regain MORE from repeated Short Rests. It seems like you think you do? I dunno if it was you or someone else who was claiming it was "like Skyrim" if you had shorter Short Rests, but it's completely illogical and untrue. Short Rests recover a fixed amount of resources, but let you spend up to 100% of your HD.

So there is LITERALLY NEVER a benefit to taking more than one Short Rest in a row.

And taking a Short Rest after every encounter doesn't cause a serious problem. I've seen it in play many times. It actually makes the game feel a bit more balanced if you're going for like 1-5 encounters in a day.

I would imagine just from our informal remembrances of threads here that 1-hour SRs I think tend to be looked down upon more often than not, I agree. Sure there are some who are probably fine with them, but most I seem to recall being meh about them.

But I will also say there's the additional side (which I happen to belong to) which is that we know 1-hour Short Rests are irritating... but that changing them to a length of time I like is so easy that I don't actually care what the book does or does not eventually include. If they leave it as 1 hour or change it to 10 minutes, 3 hours, 5 minutes, 1 minute, or whatever... it doesn't mater to me, I'm going to use the time period I myself am most happy with (10 minutes).

So while I can appreciate folks trying to fight for their preferred length... I don't tend to join in because I'm going to just do what I do at the end of the day anyway.
I think making it officially 10 or 20 minutes would be a big deal and improve the real-terms balance situation between Short Rest and Long Rest characters, because people would be vastly more willing to take them.

My experience is the main reason players don't take them isn't because they don't need them, or mean Long Rest characters are stopping them or whatever, but because it seems nigh-insane for the party to suddenly stop the adventure for AN HOUR (a really proper lunchbreak!) in the middle of things, where 10 or 20 minutes to bind wounds and so on would be fairly plausible. It just seems really weird. And to do that MULTIPLE TIMES IN A DAY? Absolute arrant insanity.

We played one campaign where it was 20 minutes a while back, and we took far more Short Rests just because like, they actually made sense. It feels like metagaming of a cheesy kind of take the one-hour ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads